Professor Paddle: Debate? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Debate? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Online Status: Offline
  Quote franzhorner Replybullet Topic: Debate?
    Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 3:37pm
This is really in response to James' challenge on the Miracle at Sunset post.  I'm hoping to lure him into some fun (for me, maybe not you)  debate.

This is nonboating related.....

WARNING:  If you do not like to hear challenges to your beliefs:  don't read further.  If you don't like people making silly jokes about a serious topic: don't read further.  If you think that online debate is inherently bad and wrong and unproductive: don't read on.

If you think this doesn't belong on PP, realize you are in the general chit chat forum and you are wrong.

I think it is silly that religious folks constantly praise God when lucky things happen to them like in that post about the miracle at Sunset.  I know I have said "thank God" in my life.  At one point I used to say "thank Gods" instead.  I think I'm silly when I do it.  For non-believers it is absurd to think that God saved this kids life while he lets innocents all over the world die everyday.  I think someone already pointed out that "its all in God's plan" is just not a good enough explanation for deeper thinkers.  I mean surely if he has the power to save the kids life here wouldn't he have the power to save other innocents?

This reminds me of a discussion I had with a very religious Christian.  I asked him why God didn't want Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge.  I mean did he have a reason or was it just because he said so.  This particular guy told me it was just cause God said so and he had no reason to even question why in this story God wouldn't want humans to have knowledge.....

Here's one that gets me in trouble all the time, more with Atheists than religious folks...

It takes just as much faith to be an Atheist as it does to be a Christian.  One believes there is no God and the other believes there is a God.  Neither one has proof.

The only realistic bunch are Agnostics.

MORE RAIN PLEASE
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 4:12pm
I agree with you on the agnostic front:)
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 4:29pm
A discussion on the finer points of NYC hardcore punk may be more fun!!!!
MORE RAIN PLEASE
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 6:11pm
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 6:12pm
A discussion on the finer points of NYC hardcore punk may be more fun!!!!
MORE RAIN PLEASE
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 6:15pm
How about Sick of it All?? I got my ass beat in one of their pits once. Lost a sneaker and got surfed to the front where I stayed for Helmet!!! It was scary! Class 5 pit!
MORE RAIN PLEASE
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 7:29pm
Disclaimer: The following is MY belief I do not speak for all Christians.  I like debate, but would like not to lose friends over it... hopefully this doesn't do that!

I think folks are getting bent around the axle about what some Christians believe.

Show me the passage in the Bible that says God answers prayers for things.  The closest you'll find is:
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you"

To think that means God is gonna give anybody a better boof stroke or a Ferrari is a gross misinterpretation.  If you read just past that verse it talks about a parent knowing how to give gifts to his children.  Few parents would give their kids the vat of sugar and flamethrower they ask for.

I was only taught to pray for guidance and strength.  I think of this life as a test and believe that if God was just lonely and wanted to create some cool paddlers to hang out with in heaven, he could have done just that...  I think of questioning God like an amoeba trying to understand human thought.  I figure the difference between human and God is probably greater and with that established it seems silly to question God's motives for letting bad stuff happen.

The problem I have with people who criticize Christianity in general is... Why?  Show me the passage in the Bible that makes a person a bad father, neighbor or coworker.  Why then would anybody oppose Christians carte blanche..

It is a sad truth that the loudest people in almost any group are the most ignorant.  It bothers me that people pick the dumbest and least informed Christians to condemn all of Christianity.  I'll bet I could find at least one dumb atheist or agnostic, maybe even a group! 

Nobody argues that the Bible isn't historic and influential.  It puzzles me that it isn't studied as a document at the least.  It puzzles me even more that so many of its followers and criticizers have never read a page of it.

If somebody wants to discuss Christianity with me, realize I'm not gonna support everyone that has ever been to Church.

Here is a funny story illustrating how God may answer prayers:
http://www.coolfunnyjokes.com/Funny-Jokes/Religious-Jokes/The-Big-Flood.html

H2O please
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 11:33pm
I feel like a fish following a lure. I've got plenty to say and feel that I could debate either side very effectively. So, do I bite making for a long drawn out fight that won't change the way anyone thinks in the end, or let this one go. You will know by the length of this post before you even started reading it that I am letting this one go. But I would be be happy to debate anyone in person anytime.

James, I would love to go fishing with you anytime. Got a freezer full of Pinks and would love to add some Hos (CoHo).
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 11:44pm
Horner you have to watch this.....

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&errmsg=INVALID_STATE_ERR%3A%20DOM%20Exception%2011&gl=US&rdm=4nyrj9zde&reload=5#/watch?v=8Eam-z1bwrk

Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 12:14am
Originally posted by franzhorner

It takes just as much faith to be an Atheist as it does to be a Christian.  One believes there is no God and the other believes there is a God.  Neither one has proof.
The only realistic bunch are Agnostics.

I disagree here, "faith" is what many of us (including me) struggle with...  If an atheist chooses to do anything (lie, cheat or steal) and doesn't get caught there is no punishment.  To have "faith" is to live by scripture, which is NOT easy.

If an agnostic can reason that it was okay by his/her own rules (not written down), there is no punishment.

Religious folks believe that even if they don't get caught here... there will be consequences.

I kinda like the thought that the guy down the street has the same definition of morality that I do.  I don't understand why people want to tear down Christianity or many religions for that matter.  I have never heard of any religion that says "do whatever you want, hurt anyone you want... just don't get caught." 

Even if one thinks all Christianity (or any other religion) is full of idiots...  Why try to convince them there are no consequences for immorality?  I think many criminals/evil folks are dangerous because they no rules to live by...  As an educated atheist, would you want all those idiots running around with less reason to be good?  I think a lot of people who argue on this don't think things though very well...

"Anyone who thinks there is good in everyone.... has not met everyone." 

I'm definitely not saying people of faith are stupid, but I hear many atheists saying that religious folks are fools.  If they honestly feel that way that the smarter thing is to sit back and laugh quietly.  What happens if atheists win and the fools have no consequences? (as long as man doesn't catch them...)

Ahh the complexities of this discussion... this is probably going too far at this point, but I don't think what I've said should offend anybody, I promise I will NOT ask you if you believe in Zeus before bagging you out of a hole!

H2O please
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 8:51am
Nice people....

I like the discussion....

Nobody gets hurt...
MORE RAIN PLEASE
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 9:48am
I feel like agnosticism is being misconstrued a little with anarchism, just because someone believes that there is no way of knowing whether or not there is a "God", it doesn't mean that they don't believe in some sort of morality.  I guess what I'm saying, is that "God" and morality aren't mutually exclusive..... did I say that right?
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 10:06am
anarchism....or maybe nihilism (there is no meaning).  I only made it through...barely.... Philosophy 101 in school though....zzzz

But hey, good opportunity for a quote:

"We believe in nothing Lebowski.  Nothing. And tomorrow we come back and we cut off your chonson."

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 10:37am
Originally posted by justin

I feel like agnosticism is being misconstrued a little with anarchism, just because someone believes that there is no way of knowing whether or not there is a "God", it doesn't mean that they don't believe in some sort of morality.  I guess what I'm saying, is that "God" and morality aren't mutually exclusive..... did I say that right?

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. 

One does not need organized religion or the threat of eternal damnation to be a good and moral person.  How about just treating others how you would like to be treated?  Using our sympathetic and empathetic abilities?  It works for a lot of us.

And then some people need the constant reminder of a hot miserable eternal hell to keep them on the straight and narrow.

I realize there are some cold, callous , anti-social people in this world...maybe religion can keep some of them in line....but for many, well there's prison.

Organized religion has it's merits and I'm not going to knock them, but as Justin pointed out, it's not a be all end all for a healthy, happy and socially responsible life.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 11:55am
Well horner I am suprised that this has so many responses. Congrats!

I Still don't think discussions in a thread are fruitful to anything more than stating your own thoughts for your own affirmation. Even if someone were to draft an elaborate post outlining everything one needed to be capable of making that amazingly well understood decision not many are going to take the time to research or read something they don't agree with. The problem most folks have is that they are not very open in the first place. I for one grew up in a pastors house, I went through the process of rebelling against my families beliefs which were NOT indoctrinated - As a youth I just made choices much differently than as an adult. I went through the stages of seeking answers in just about every religion and belief structure you can find, from Wicca and Islam to Mystical Shamanism and right back into Christianity. The process of deciding you want to embark on a quest for the truth, what ever you decide is the truth, is more of the importance if you ask me. I mean after all if you are not interested in questing for truth why read or even entertain discussion on the subject.

Now that I have snatched up Horndoggies bait.

Do tell what is morality? Islam teaches that murdering any non-islamic that refuses to accept the way of islam is ok. In an Islamic country that is considered Moral and Gihad is considered by these cultures the highest form of Morality. A husband may KILL his wife if he even suspects that she is thinking of being unfaithful, How many wives are ok? So who decides what Morality is, Popular Culture? The Government which is a panel of a certain group of a culture? That would all mean that morality is a constantly moving medium which would mean that what is not moral one day might be moral another day. Why then even obey todays morals when tomorrows morals will be different. Gay Culture is a good example of Morality, Notice I have not stated if I think that was a good change or bad change in morality, just a change that can not be denied. What other changes in Morality have their been?

I am going to disagree with POW and Justin, God and Morality are Exclusive. Without a higher deity directing what the moral code is that code will change and cease to be a constant which is then a better question of Why should Morality not change, or can Morals be Morals if they are ok to constantly change?

I think the better questions should stop being directed towards what God does, or what God wants. Why does this happen and why does that happen. I think the best discussion should be factual in nature. If you believe this why? What has led you to this understanding? I don't know about other folks but the older I have become the more factual information I want when I make choices. And I am certainly not going to believe in something that is a hypothetical, emotion based system, I want facts and I want evidence. So while it is fun to discuss Morality the real questions should be more like, oh you believe in God? What are the facts that you have to support your belief, Oh you believe in Muhammad tell me about the facts, not what you feel or think might be, what is. Your into Wicca, sweet give me the facts maybe I am not too informed on that action.  Oh you believe in Mystical Shamanisim, Well your out of luck there because that is all about the fact there is no facts so it is a rather fickle pickle to dice, I really liked that phase of my life the best because it let me make my own rules, that was pretty sweet and well turned out to be quite bittersweet.
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 12:26pm
http://news.yahoo.com/belief-god-boils-down-gut-feeling-104403461.html

Why is it that you need a God to answer to in order to have morals?

I answer to myself and I have morals.

Ralph Waldo Emerson was kicked out of Harvard for suggesting that people drop their religions and look to themselves for forgiveness and salvation.

MORE RAIN PLEASE
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 2:15pm
Franz that is fine but you would need to accept the fact that you are now re-defining what Morals are. Morals are individual practices within a Moral Code which is the combination of morals that are adhered to by cultures, religions etc. Not Singular Individuals.

Now where POW, Justin and others disagree with me is that I don't believe you can Call a Moral Code a Moral Code if it changes. Morals are based on Truths which can not change, whereas Legality is based on popular opinion which is not the same as morality. These Morals or Truths are understood differently by different groups.

But how can one group that believes a moral is ok , while another group believes it is not ok still be a truth? Well the simple fact is that one or both groups are wrong. So then regardless of what group you are in a Change in Morals means that a truth is now false, so then it is not a truth and never was, so then is there any Truth?

If you don't believe there can be real Truth in Morality then you don't have any Morality you have legality.
If you do believe in Truths in Morality then you better hope the rest of the populous agrees with you or it might be false which then begs to ask was it a truth after all?

The only option for Morality is to be based on a Truth that can not be False. Humans being finite and limited can not declare ultimate truth because we do not know everything therefore it can be proved false.

This is why I believe that there is a direct correlation between morality and a Higher Power. Call him God, Allah, Thor, Zeus, Jehovah Jireh or even Fibnok.

PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by James

So who decides what Morality is, Popular Culture? The Government which is a panel of a certain group of a culture? That would all mean that morality is a constantly moving medium which would mean that what is not moral one day might be moral another day. Why then even obey todays morals when tomorrows morals will be different. Gay Culture is a good example of Morality, Notice I have not stated if I think that was a good change or bad change in morality, just a change that can not be denied. What other changes in Morality have their been?

I am going to disagree with POW and Justin, God and Morality are Exclusive. Without a higher deity directing what the moral code is that code will change and cease to be a constant which is then a better question of Why should Morality not change, or can Morals be Morals if they are ok to constantly change?

That code will change to make rape, murder, theft, etc. ok?  Without organized religion?  Really?  

A worthy quote:

Good people do good because they want to do good - not because they will personally benefit from it or because someone has forced them to do it. People who do good solely for personal gain or to avoid personal harm are not good people. Someone who saves a drowning child, for example, only because he was offered a reward or was physically threatened does not deserve our praise. Thus, if your only reason for performing good actions is your desire to go to heaven or your fear of going to hell - if all your other-regarding actions are motivated purely by self-interest - then you should go to hell because you are not a good person. An obsessive concern with either heaven or hell should actually lessen one's chances for salvation rather than increase them.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 2:52pm
Agreed POW. Heaven and Hell have little to do with a Follower of Christs reason for making choices and if it does, well I would argue they don't really know what Following Christ is all about. I do not make changes in the way I behave because I want to be a good person. Popular culture determines what is good in your example and then you have free reign to do what ever you want within those changing bounds.

In Germany Prostitution is not just Legal, it is a viable economy.  When our country decides that is now within our Moral Code does that mean that going to the prostitute is doing good? Well of course not if your married at first right? When will that change? What if your spouse is holding out on you, or if your going through a divorce? What if your spouse is incapable ie in a car accident for life? Oh the circumstances.

That code will change and it does. Where did Slavery go, where did Homosexuality go,  now am I arguing that they are good or bad? Just that our code does change and at one time you would have gotten a response to that change much like you are responding to me.
People would say:
(Circa 1400-1600) Why is Slavery is bad?
(Circa Then to 1950s) How could Homosexuality be ok?
What is next? Perhaps Prostitution and easy stuff like Drugs.  I am not going to argue what core will remain just that when Man makes his own Morality it is open to change because it is not based on Ultimate Truth but rather popular opinion. Popular Opinion is not Truth therefore it is nor Morality in my view.

justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 3:09pm
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 5:03pm
moralsplural of mor·al (Noun)
1. A lesson, esp. one concerning what is right or prudent, that can be derived from a story, a piece of information, or an experience.
2. A person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do.
Merriam-Webster     The Free Dictionary
MORE RAIN PLEASE
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 8:32pm
MORALITY : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7xt5LtgsxQ

This is a good one !!!! all good points boys... Although someone is still missing the point. I choose to be good without god. and it feels better to be good and good to people without expecting something back like a ticket to heaven or someone wanting me to be a good person for praise. What if you found out you there was no god tomorrow how then would you find your "strength" and "wisdom". you would have to look into the void and yourself.   MORALITY This video is good and the british guy sounds better explaining it then me.....
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 9:39pm
also I think this video explains James stance very well on morality....
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 12:05am
Well said James. And moral codes must inherrently change as we learn new things (hopefully) as a society. When did the terms "leave no trace" and "pack it in pack it out" surface? Arguably these aren't classified as morals but rather as principles of conservation, but still if we include the planet and its many non human inhabitants in our considerations of how we interact with our world,it seems to bear mention.

(What I'm saying here is that while we all drag our boats from time to time, and seal launch quite a bit, don't drag your boat when you can carry it just cuz you're too lazy. And while seal launching is easy and fun its not always necessary- watch the plastic shavings in the wildernes, folks)---just to tie it into boat'n a bit.

And some morals need to change. Stoning peeps just ain't cool. Getting peeps stoned? Well that may be a good deed for the right peeps, legalities not withstanding. Many of history's "morals" were obviously skewed and distorted by those in power, namely. Patriarchal system designed to keep men in power, and to keep property over generations within bloodlines,ect. And we can't even have this discussion without at least breifly mentioning how both the Bible and the Koran has been and is used as a means of socio-political control. How moral is that? That's not to say though that these ancient texts should be invalidated because of the power hungry assholes that manipulate whole cultures with them.

Regardless, using religion to uphold or defend moral codes is a double edged sword. Too many differing cultures on this planet to possibly hope we can have a single uniform moral code. So why do religious fundementalists fight so hard for a uniformity of (their own brand of) religion? I won't single out Christianity, but the other Abrahamic religions (Islam and Judaism) are just as bad with this sort of "my way or the highway" approach.

There is some sort of African fable I heard once- maybe I read some Joeseph Campbell or something, can't remember but the essence of it goes like this:

Two peoples live on the opposite sides of a long lake. The people see their god paddle by to the north end of the lake, and the peeps on the east shore notice he is wearing a blue hat. Of course the peeps on the west shore, they observe their god paddling northbound wearing a red hat. So now they gotta argue and fight about it. Later the next day, the next week, or whatever, their god comes paddling southbound. Once again: peeps on the east shore insist he was wearing a blue hat, peeps on the west shore say it was a red hat. First of all, what difference does it make? What no one realized was that their collective god was simply flipping his hat around just to fu*k with all them dumb asses- the hat was blue on one side and red on the other.

Now I know that there are a lot more complex differences between belief systems- some nuanced and many more stark. But this is why I'd have to put myself in the Agnostic camp- hell, I never even seen the hat, let alone the god wearing it. Peeps say thats a cop out, but I say I have way too little info to make an informed decision.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 12:45am
H2O please
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version