Professor Paddle: Kayaking in WA in October and November vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Kayaking in WA in October and November Post Reply Post New Topic
Alex
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Replybullet Topic: Kayaking in WA in October and November
    Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 1:19pm
Hi!
I'm going to have a business trip to WA state this autumn, so I'm looking for the companions to paddle or to train with.

1. Is it possible to rent a kayak somewhere in WA? The same question is about some other gear, for example lifejacket.

2. What about some training classes or clinics? May be something more advanced than roll sessions in pools?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 2:10pm
I think your best bet for some training/clinics would be to contact Wet Planet. They have a great school and also have great gear. They are in Husum, WA near Hood River, Or. Wet Planet will have everything you need and I am positive that you will have nothing less than an awesome experience with them. Good friends of mine.
If you are only in the Seattle area you might contact Outdoor Adventure Center in Index.
H2Ohta
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 2:37pm
where in WA will you be?  what kind of stuff do you like to paddle?  what size are you?
Alex
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Alex Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 3:12pm
I'll be in Mukilteo and Everett. I usually paddle from class III to V- so I'm not a beginner, but not a professional. Size is L/XL, or so.

Thanks for the information!
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 3:20pm

to echo the other comment, wet planet is awesome if you have an extra weekend or couple days to go down there.  i did a creeking clinic this spring and it was great.  outdoor adventure center is closer to where you'll be, i haven't done anything with them.

there's a chance you can borrow a boat if you can bring your kit.  you can't borrow my stuff cause you're too big. hah.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 3:22pm
You might consider air freighting your boat over here.  I did that from here when boating a long weekend in the NE - it came out to around $125 or so each way.  No small change, but stack that up against rental fees and you get to use your regular boat and it seems more worthwhile. 

From where you will be, the Skykomish will be your best bet.  It runs year round and if it gets a little big from rain, its tributaries open up as do other runs nearby.  Middle Fork Snoqualmie is also popular once the fall rains hit. 

If you are a skier\boarder and your trip is for late fall, we have a La Nina forecast in the making, which means a higher probability of snow showing up - you are only <2 hours from skiing at Stevens Pass.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 7:09am
Is this Alex Hyman?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
LisaF
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote LisaF Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 8:52pm
Nooksack slalom race is October 8-9 in Glacier, WA. They often (usually?) have slalom clinics in conjunction with the race, check the League of Whitewater Racers website.
-Lisa
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 12:53am
Yeah, I'd say it really depends on when you'll specificlly be out here. The Sky is cool cuz it runs year round, and even its most ELFish flow is fun, particularly if you're new to it. Later when the rains hit you could run Robe Canyon real easily outta Everret, but that's stout class V compared to the class V classics of the east. If you show up out here with an A game for PNW class V, it may be your cup of tea.
   If you are out here earlier, you can check out the White Salmon. That's where Wet Planet is based out of and likely where they'd take you if you olugged into their scene. Otherwise you can hit it up on your own, but keep in mind your lookin at about 5 hour drive maybe less from where you're gonna be.
But I was just down there and the White Salmon is still flowing 2' or so. Great class III run, and the Green Truss stretch just upstream is good class IV-V in a class V canyon, if that makes sense. It'll be boney as fu*k tho at 2' or less.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 12:55am
Can't forget Tumwater either.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 12:58am
Guess its pretty low now, tho. Still... Thats whats cool about this area. There's always somethin to boat somewhere and you can always dart up into BC in 4 hrs or so you'll find some sh*t.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Alex
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Alex Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by PaddleGirl

to echo the other comment, wet planet is awesome if you have an extra weekend or couple days to go down there.  i did a creeking clinic this spring and it was great.

So I'm going to join wet planet creeking clinic on October, 8.

P.S.: no, I'm not Alex Hyman
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version