Professor Paddle: Getting out as a Beginner
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Trips Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Getting out as a Beginner Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Online Status: Offline
  Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 3:02pm
I'd be up for trying creeking. I don't think I've tried anything that would be considered that. What skilz/gear should a person have before jumping into that. I've got a p/burn which is listed as a creeker. I've been running the green, sno, sky, and nisqualli... not really sure how long it is before I have to stop calling myself a beginner. I've been doing this stuff for a year now. I might just retain the eternal beginner status. :) Anyway, I'd love to hear what it takes to start hitting some creeks.
why not!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
aguacaliente
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote aguacaliente Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 11:42am
hi all, i'm new to seattle and the pnw -- coming from the east coast. looking to get out and learn the local rivers with anyone who is willing to have me along. i've been actively paddling for about 7 months now, and comfortably paddle III+. i'm looking to work on my skills quite a bit this fall and work my way up. that said, most of my paddling has been on the east coast/in ecuador, so i have a lot to learn about the rivers around.

looking forward to meeting some of you folks in the area!

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 11:47am
hey, welcome to the PNW!  where did you come from out east?  I moved here from NH about a year and a half ago. 

I run class II to IV... sometimes easy stuff with beginners and sometimes not... i'm just happy being on the river.

anyway, hit me up if you want to paddle.

Jen
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 4:58am
When the rains come, a great deal of rivers will become available. I've been kayaking for a bit over a year and have no formal training, but love to get out. People here are great to boat with. I look forward to seeing you out on the river. Welcome to the area!
why not!
aguacaliente
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote aguacaliente Replybullet Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 1:03pm
thanks guys! looking forward to meeting everyone as soon as possible!
gtichris
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gtichris Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 11:11am
Hello, my name is Chris, I'm learning to paddle at 42.
I bought an old pyranha playboat in august,and I have been trying to soak up all the info i can. I have been climbing
for 25 years,and it is refreshing to have something new to learn. I have had some harsh lessons already- like getting flipped over in the montlake cut with no idea how to wet exit(5 seconds of terrror!)or roll...also stuck upside down in shallow water near the town wall/climbers
camp area...so I took some roll lessons at the leavenworth pool(4-5:30 Sundays all summer $5 pool fee)and now Im trying to figure out how to stay warm...
anyway, add me to the list of beginners looking to find
friendly people to paddle with.

Edited by gtichris - 10 Sep 2012 at 1:05am
gtichris
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gtichris Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 11:41am
WARNING TO BEGINNERS: watch out for paddle girl-she trolls these forums and pretends to be friendly- but is really an arrogant snob. she sent me a "welcome to the community -hit me up if you want to paddle" p.m.-but when i showed up at
a roll practice session as per her suggestion-she acted as if i had crashed her little exclusive party-and said she didn't remember ever talking w/me...she was rude and arrogant when i tried to ask some questions. steer clear of this SNOB.

Edited by gtichris - 09 Sep 2012 at 11:50am
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 12:29pm
I think you've got her mixed up with someone else.
gtichris
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gtichris Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 12:31pm
NO WAY BUDDY NO MIXUP
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 12:33pm
If you're interested in starting sh*t for the sake of it, please see www.mountainbuzz.com or www.boatertalk.com

I've been here 2 years and have yet to meet anyone fitting that description, including Jen.
gtichris
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gtichris Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 12:36pm
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY STARTING sh*t ? ARE YOU f**king W/ ME?
gtichris
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gtichris Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 12:39pm
fu*k YOU PUNK - YOUR FRIEND IS A SNOB- IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GET BETTER FRIENDS.
gtichris
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gtichris Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:01pm
maybe brianp has a brand new fancy boat...and looks like a ken doll...maybe brianp drives a shiny new car...maybe ...snobs like superficial things like that...so yeah,of course she is nice to you PUNK

Edited by gtichris - 09 Sep 2012 at 1:02pm
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:02pm
Chris - most everyone on this forum has likely paddled with each other or is maybe one degree of separation from someone who has.  As a result, this makes for a more genteel forum since in this land or year round boating we may run into each other.  I think you will find it is contrary to the spirit of this forum to throw f bombs and to call someone out and isn't going to be well received by the boaters that post here.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
gtichris
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gtichris Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:19pm
hi Scott sorry but brianp is the one "calling out" he is the one who said " if you want to start sh*t for the sake of it " i dont know him or anything about him . he came on and said i was a liar - well he wasn't there. its' really nifty that paddle girl chose to be nice to him ,but she was rude and arrogant towards me...so who cares what he says...mean people suck ...maybe brian is mean too?
gtichris
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gtichris Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:56pm
hey scott i'm curious is it alright to throw s-bombs and call people liars? is this your idea of "genteel"?
if not then why is your post aimed only at me and not brianp? i tried to meet some people from P.P. and i "wasnt well recieved" anyway...so your friendly boating community is a phony facade that exists in your elitist
mind. thank god climbers arent like that

Edited by gtichris - 09 Sep 2012 at 2:19pm
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 2:20pm
  Typically, I stay out of these flame wars on forums but I find the statistics in this one interesting.

Chris, Your record here on PP shows 9 posts and 8 of them are outright flaming.  4 of them are all caps and you calling people punks, superficial and dropping F-bombs.  I can tell you right now, without meeting you, that I'm not terribly inclined to teach you anything even if you paid me (I'm a professional instructor).

Additionally, your comment about climbers not being "phony" is also crap.  Climbers are no different that paddlers or any one else.  If you're here representing climbers you're not doing a particularly good job at that either. 

You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
Lynn Wang
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Lynn Wang Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 2:46pm
Jen, I think the location of the roll practice needs to be changed. This is super creepy.

BTW: Jen IS a SNOB (Super Nice Overly Bitchin)!!
gtichris
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gtichris Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 3:51pm
hi mark ,not sure how to respond...but i will say you seem very eager to fling insults my way...i never used the word "phony" so im not sure why you have it in quotations?
i'm not terribly inclined to give a sh%t what you say when you start off insulting me...and it's interesting how you had to mention that you are a "professional insructor" (elitist much?) so i guess that makes you the end all authority on boating? and you are entitled to judge me? calling my opinion crap is "flaming" as far as i'm concerned. calling people punks? brianp is just one person-not people...and he started off calling me a liar.
how would you respond to that?
gtichris
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote gtichris Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 4:08pm
what was super creepy was when i asked your friend if it was an organized event or just some friends...she gave me dirty look and said "i think this is the last one"...(obviously because i showed up)...i'm not stupid...it hurt my feelings. i wont crash your practice session,dont worry.
sorry if i creeped you out...no hard feelings,good luck stay safe. Chris

Edited by gtichris - 09 Sep 2012 at 4:09pm
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 6:59pm
it's the last one due to it being end of summer and with the sun going down sooner, we don't have much time. it's nothing personal.

Edited by PaddleGirl - 10 Sep 2012 at 8:59am
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:05am
Disclaimer, No intent at being judgy or offering advice was meant. This was just a post for self entertainment, and perhaps a bit of thanks.

I had to check in and see who was new. :) I didn't expect so much zest! Zest is the only description I could come up with...
I started just over a year ago. I started with a kayak that was way too touchy for my skill level (a craigslist special at 180 bucks) and about 3 hours of watching you tube video's. I remember telling the first guy I hit a river with "ya, I watched how to roll and I'm pretty sure I got it." Needless to say I didn't.
Since then, I got better. It's in no small part thanks to the many great people I've met here. I started at 41. Most my gear I call ghetto gear.
Many here spent a good deal of time and money learning their skills and have given freely. I couldn't afford (via time or money) the lessons that many shelled out good coin for, yet I've been able to benefit from their knowledge and experience.
I've encountered software engineers, news casters, business owners... a crap load of electricians.. (lol) and despite my blue collar occupation, I've felt very welcome by all. So, First off; THANK YOU.
I think I might have even stacked the deck against myself by expecting to be judged. I think early on I expected to be looked down on. I read recently that it's self sabotaging to approach things that way. You should enter a situation expecting to be liked. I guess another way I've heard of saying it is "focus determines reality.." Ok.. maybe not. Anyway, I'm trying to approach things differently.
That said, I'm sorry you had a bad experience gtichris. I'm especially sorry your feelings were hurt.   
BP, I think it's great that you have the courage to stand up for people you know.
Paddle Girl, despite what might have made most people feel insulted and indignant, you responded with patience and grace.
Mark 47... :) very analytic.. I had to fight the impulse to make up something bad. All this well wishing causes an imbalance in the force. I do look forward to hitting some rivers with you this fall.
Scott H. was on the mark. I mean if there is a raging A hole or something.. ya, things will be said. But in General it seems there is such a small pool of boaters and every one wants soo bad to get out, we all do our best to get along.
Thinking about it... I don't think the river cares what you do for a living. I don't think it cares who your parents are, or what college you attended. It will kill you. I think that might be part of the attraction. The fact that nothing else matters. It allows many to escape the expectations and worries of daily life and directs us to put all our focus on the moment at hand. I imagine climbing is somewhat the same.
Anyway, that is my two cents. Un-asked for, but.. there it is.

Edited by thad2000 - 10 Sep 2012 at 7:12am
why not!
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 9:13pm
http://nubiaq.wikispaces.com/

Someone posted this website on the MN forums, it's got a lot of good info for anyone out there just getting into paddling. The river info is geared towards the SE, but the rest of it should be helpful.
wenatchee_boatr
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote wenatchee_boatr Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 9:46pm
Hi I'm new to this site and probably interrupting whatever conversation is going on here, but I'd like to put my information out there in case anyone wants to take a beginner out this fall.

Looking to do the Sky, MM, or something in the III-ish range. Rivers are on the rise and I want to get out. I live in Wenatchee and have whitewater experience as a raft guide on the Wenatchee river as well as the Methow and White Salmon.

I've taken my hardshell (Pyranha Ammo) down the Wenatchee and that was super easy, but that is it.

Message me or email (craigvanderhart@gmail.com) if you would like to run something soon. Weekends or afternoons work. I don't mind driving.
WhiteWater
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote WhiteWater Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 11:14pm
Welcome beginners. Send me a pm n id be happy to help out. I get out frequently. Watch out 4 those Brians tho they can be pretty fn awesome on the rivers. Except for the BrianP's they move away n dont boat with u anymore. Haha
All rivers lead to Mr. Extreme!
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version