Professor Paddle: Getting out as a Beginner vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Getting out as a Beginner Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 5:51pm
This isn't Thad in Port Orchard, is it?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 5:13am
Nope, it's "the Thad" from Tacoma. The other is an impostor. lol I do go down to Sequim and Port Angeles daily (nightly).
why not!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 11:36am
As we've seem to have a recent influx of new boaters on the forum and spring boating season is getting underway... I thought it would be a good time to give this thread a bump.

cart
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote cart Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:52am
Im pretty new to paddling, especially in northern washington. i live in bellingham and would love to be getting out with some people my own skill level, or some people that are patient and wouldn't mind showing me the ropes. thanks for posting this

Edited by cart - 30 Apr 2012 at 7:52am
fastpaddler
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote fastpaddler Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:49pm
I'm new too. Looking for info on who/ how to even get started. Have been sea kayaking but want the whitewater. After gear then what? Get lessons from someone, just go, go with patient peePs from PP? live in b' ham
TomMarley
Paddler
Paddler

Quote TomMarley Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 9:22pm
Hello fellow B-ham paddlers. My girlfriend and I try to get out at least once during the week, but we're out of town every weekend. We ran the N Fork Nooksack yesterday, and hope to again on Monday or Tuesday next week. We have a raft, which could come in handy in the event of a swim.

Also, there is a kayak pool session 8pm - 9pm every Tuesday and Thursday over at the Arne Hanna Aquatic Center. Cost is $5. Probably a good place to meet fellow paddlers, too.

Hope to see you on the river.

-Tom
BobClass4
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote BobClass4 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:21pm
My 2 cents worth on getting into white water kayaking (or other similar sports like climbing) is that you are way ahead of the game if you are trying to meet other people who already are kayakers rather than trying to get some of your non-kayaker friends to start kayaking with you.

Sure, try to get some of your existing friends to start kayaking, but I wouldn't count on it happening.

Whitewater kayaking is probably my favorite sport, but when you take the population of a typical town (say 50,000) people and devide by the number of active white water kayakers (maybe 50) you begin to realize that we're pretty unique individuals.

I live in the Tri-Cities, which have a combined population of close to 200,000 people, and I doubt we have 20 active white water kayakers.
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2012 at 7:14am
It's like chocolate, who wouldn't like chocolate! I expected everyone I knew too want to try it. I couldn't fathom how anyone would not want to.
:( unfortunately, that is not the case.
I still find myself thinking, if they tried it they would like it. I'm strong arming my fiance' into trying it (sorta)... but that's with the knowledge it my just not be for her.
On the positive side, you meet some great people!
In fact, it's probably for the best it is such a small niche thing. . If everyone did it the rivers would be choked with people, taking away from much of the charm of the sport..
why not!
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:00pm
Bham paddlers, try IM'ing doggievacation or Wiggins. they get out a lot and live in town.
If you paddle harder, some boaters run the bend on thursday evenings.
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 2:07pm
IM Justin to! We need to bring him back into the fold!

Kyle
I smell bacon
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:54am
For you newbies,  I'm headed out to the Headworks section above the gorge on Sunday the 20th.  Meeting at Kanaskat Palmer at 9:00
You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
Tr182md
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Tr182md Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:54pm
Another newbie here. Was a IV-V whitewater guide 20 years ago in CA. Have taken many lessons and was told I can do any class 2 but personally I feel I need more time in class 2 before I can feel comfortable moving on. Need more consistent roll in whitewater to really feel good. I think this is just need more time on the river. When class 2 is not challenging I will know it is time to move up.

Bought a JK Zen and waiting for it to arrive. Flew down to CA last week to take two days private lesson on American and to demo the zen. (i have a small plane) Ready to try some easy stuff up here. When the kayak arrives I will have everything I need except spare paddle and someone to Kayak with.

Work a lot so hopefully can get into some groups. Living in Lynnwood these days. Can carry 3 boats on my SUV. Probably more if they are whitewater.
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:09am
Welcome.. I'm in Tacoma and am up for class 2 too.. :) I've been kayaking for about 8 months and probably been down less than 20 rapids. I sport an old inazone, a burn (and two or three other outdated boats). I'd judge my roll in white water about 70-80% recently.. I work nights so often I can be available during week days.
why not!
Tr182md
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Tr182md Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 8:32am
My boat arrives near seatac Tuesday. Ordered an extra paddle for backup. Getting excited. Probably take it to the lake for roll practice sometime next week then will be looking for some river time.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 8:38am
The Lower Green is coming down and is a great run for you guys that are getting your class II-III skills up. The Headworks is a good spot too, just watch out for Legde Drop I at kanasket if you choose to run that.
Nomad
Tr182md
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Tr182md Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 11:45am
Being up north here in Everett area what about big eddy run? The green run looks good. Short enough to make several runs.

Thanks
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 12:12pm
Ya, Big Eddy run on the Sky is a great beginner run too. You cant go wrong with Big Eddy. We are lucky around here to have so many good class II-III runs to learn on.
Nomad
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 12:18pm
I'll hit Big Eddy with people.  Depending on who else is going I may out on farther up and come down to meet up with people.  Running just BE is OK also if it is after work and not enough time to do the whole river.
plumb328
Paddler
Paddler

Quote plumb328 Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 10:55pm
I live in bham.I am a class 3 paddler looking for someone to go with.Thanks ,Eric
jon!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jon! Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 7:52am
I'm a class II-III paddler in the Marysville area. The Sauk is a great run for those of us up north.
Tr182md
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Tr182md Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 8:18am
So if I got off at work 5:00 in Everett is it feasible to do a run on big eddy after work? What about Sauk? Assuming kayak on car and leaving from work.
tracy2303
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote tracy2303 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 8:29am
I live in Arlington and I am looking for people to run the Sauk i have only run it once, I really want to learn the lines .
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 5:30am
Easy to get a Sky run in after getting off work at 5 in everett.  As long as it is not the start of a 3 day weekend, then traffic sucks.
Jcpennys
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Jcpennys Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 12:43pm
New to Hard Shell, but not whitewater. Just Started to hard shell, no roll. I do get out on the water at least once a week in my raft or IK. I would really like to learn to hard shell. I think the Snoqualmie river would be a good start... Any suggestions? I have only ran the Clackamas 3 times in a hard shell, that's my total experience in a kayak. If there is someone that does the Snoqualmie in north bend regularly and doesn't mind a newbie tagging along hit me up.

-J
thisisandy
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote thisisandy Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 2:53pm
Hey hey.
Andy Ingram here, I'm an intermediate paddler comfortable in most I-IV water. I'd like to be added to the list as well James. I'm in the Bellingham area but Skykomish runs are an option for me as well as the Methow + creeking!
-A
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version