Professor Paddle: Getting out as a Beginner
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Trips Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Getting out as a Beginner Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 8 Next >>
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Getting out as a Beginner
    Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 10:14am
I have read this type of post so many times that I felt compelled to put together a sticky thread and put this in a good place so folks can find it easily.

One note of caution ahead of time. If your a beginner looking to get out, you need to take the initiative. In most cases if you wait to get invited or brought into a group you are going to be waiting a while. You need to watch the forum for trips in your range and actively contact paddlers - Don't wait for someone to contact you!

The only purpose of this thread is to find other beginners & or find other paddlers that will take you out and help you get down runs your interested in. For this purpose I have put together a list of paddlers that you will find on this website who are out on the river and excited to help beginners explore the sport and regional rivers. This list is going to be specifically for class I-III rivers.

So here it is. If you want to be added to this list just post a message in this thread and I will add you into this main post.

Paddlers willing to take other beginners out
Member  Name  Region
Wiggins Kyle Wiggins  Bellingham/Seattle (mostly north end)
Courtney Courtney & Jimmy Nipper  Seattle (mostly north end)
Tobin Tobin Dailey   Tacoma (mostly south end)
JoesKayak Joe Sauve  Seattle (mostly north end)
arnobarno Arnold Schaeffer  Seattle - Has not volunteered to be on the list but is very articulate and helpful
H2Ohta Chris Ohta  Wenatchee/Cashmere - Has not volunteered to be on the list but is very helpful and an experienced teacher
RPMMAX Bill Petty  Washington/Oregon - He is the roaming grandmaster
Did not volunteer to be on the list but is basically the quintessential "River Teacher"
dave Dave Morrison
Seattle/Tacoma
warlickone Jim Warlick
Seattle/Tacoma

Newer Paddlers looking to get out.
(Remember a big group of beginners does not mean your safe, you should always paddle with a good ratio of experienced to inexperienced.)
Find newer paddlers by browsing this thread. If your a newer paddler post your introduction, skill and general area you are looking to paddle.

Also if your looking for a good online read for beginning, check out Arno's Guide to getting started.
Arn's Guide to Beginner Paddlers
http://professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4882

Edited by James - 21 Aug 2011 at 12:12pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 10:32am

If any of you would like to get out after work on Thursday or Friday evening I'm happy to take a group down the Big Eddy stretch of the Sky.  Let me know if there's interest.

Courtney

Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 11:21am
I have a friend flying in from Texas for the next week and I am sure we will be hitting the Powerhouse or something else II ish that has water.
No solid plans yet but anyone at any skill level is welcome. Details to follow.
Cheers
Sure?
Red Baron
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Red Baron Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:05pm
Here's my intro:

I run a blue Tomcat Solo IK with thigh straps and a 7" thwart foot brace, and am looking to do Class 3 or less runs while I learn.

Locally in an IK (mine or rented) I've run the Sky from Big Eddy to Sultan (class 1-2) 5 times now from flows from 3400cfs down to 1400cfs (last year) and have done it once from the Split Rock(?) put in just above Railroad Bridge at 3200cfs to Big Eddy (Class 2+?).  I've run the Upper Sno Riverbend to Concrete Bridge (Class 1-2) at 1600 and the MM Sno to Tanner at 1400 (Class 2-3+?) where I flipped at the first drop in House Rocks and swam that whole rapid stretch (bonking my knees several times trying to get back in the IK until I decided to just ride it out flat under my IK).  I just ran the Skagit twice from Goodell Creek to Copper Creek (Class 2-3) at 6500cfs with WRRR last weekend on both days.

Out of state I've run the Rogue in a rented IK from Robertson Bridge Park to Almeda County Park (Class 1-2).

I've also done a couple of raft trips in the past on the Wenatchee and Snake with rafting companies.

I recently got RIF'ed from work, and am spending my severance on kayaking the summer while it lasts before I start looking for another IT job.  I'm looking to run just about anything Class 3 or less within a days drive, and any day(s) works for me. 

I saw a couple of other posts about runs this week on the Sky and Wenatchee, and have another thread with some friends on WRRR about a run on the Methow or Wenatchee this weekend.  I have a full size pickup for shuttling gear and camping, and am looking for experienced paddlers who are looking to run Class 3 runs with me, or rookies like me who want to run cruisers (1-2).  I haven't had river rescue training yet (planned for WRRR Labor Day training day), so if you are a fellow rookie, we probably should stick to stuff we're comfortable/familiar with, or go with a vet on the harder/new stuff.

I haven't done any overnight on-river camping trips yet, and would like to do that while the weather is nice.  If anyone has any time or interest in doing a multi-day trip on the Rogue any time soon, I'm up for that since they are having a summer down there and the water is running at good levels right now.  On river camping, or shuttling with hotels in town works for me.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
melger
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote melger Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:47pm
I have met quite a few people here though out the year, but here is my info:

Started boating this winter/spring, started with an IK, running the green at really low water, and then the MM.  Got my roll down and bought a hardshell.  Since then I have ran the wenatchee a few times, the MM about 5-7 times (ranging from 1400-2500 CFS), a couple class II stretches, and the sky twice (portaging boulder drop both times), at 3600 and 1700.  Jumping into class III pretty quickly has given me lots of combat rolling opportunities (as well as a number of swims).  At this point, I have a solid combat roll, and the swim frequency has been decreasing.   

I would be interested in hooking up with groups doing class II/III during the evenings or on weekends. 

briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Quote briandunnington Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 10:51pm
Add me to the list of beginners looking for others to paddle with:

Name: Brian Dunnington
Location: Whidbey Island (but willing to paddle just about anywhere)

I have done some paddling on the Wenatchee and Methow, but looking to do a bunch more paddling - anything up to some easy class III for now. I have a pretty solid roll (thanks to lots of unplanned practice on the river) and I have a pretty flexible schedule so weekdays or weekend both work with at least a little notice.

I would love to get competent enough to eventually be one of the ones doing the helping and totally appreciate the more advanced folks out there who take the time to help new boaters out - that is the one thing about the sport that is tricky: you cant easily just go out and dive into it on your own.
jsy941
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jsy941 Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 10:16am
you are awesome james...thank you!!
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 3:24pm
Name: Nate Woodward

Just started paddling this year with a friend of mine. Luckily for us the season has been really long here and we've gotten to spend a lot of time on the play run in the Wenatchee, so we happen to feel pretty good about that section of class III water. Did two laps on the Sky and ran BD twice without too much drama (was only upsidedown after the airplane turn the second time we ran it).

Looking to do more playboat sort of class III stuff and maybe a little bit of class IV stuff that isn't super scary. Probably need to really get an offside roll down before I press my luck much. Would definitely be up for trips to class III runs this fall.
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 8:03am
Hey all...

I'm a class III IV paddler.  This means I paddle a good bit of class II and III.  Often a class III river can be made class II with a couple of walks too.  Anyway, I'm always looking for people to paddle with.  Often in the winter I find myself soloing class III because everyone else is skiing.

I have no background in teaching, but I always try to be a good companion.  I watch the group closely, dress warmly, and paddle creek boats most of the time, even on "easy rivers".  Maybe by watching my occasional bad line I can demonstrate what not to do...

James, please add me to the list....

Jim Warlick   828-337-4508  warlickone@hotmail.com
jon!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jon! Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 8:51am
Hi everybody...

I'm a class 2 paddler but I manage to get through class 3 as well. I have lots of mid-week time off and I live in Marysville.

Jim Warlick I don't ski, I paddle in the winter.

Jon Dudder 425 367-1844 jsdudder@hotmail.com
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 6:06pm
During the Green and Snoqualmi season, I am more than willing to take anyone down those two runs and show them the lines. The MM Snoqualmi is a good class III with one easy IV drop, the Green I would rate a good class IV run for people wanting to get into class IV.

These runs are in my backyard and I run them regularly when their in.
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 6:09pm

P.S.you can add me to the list James.

Nomad
tracy2303
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote tracy2303 Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 9:09pm
I am a class ll ,lll+ paddler and am new to area. And would like to join the group.
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 3:42am
I like taking out new boaters, but I rarely run class II anymore without a reason (like taking out new boaters!). So it is often better if new boaters contact me about boating rather than wait for me to post a trip.

My schedule is all over the place so don't feel discouraged if it takes a while for us to work out a day to paddle either.

Kyle
I smell bacon
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 8:14pm
As James said, it's good to hit folks up if you're looking to get out more and work on those skills. I don't mind hitting easier runs and there's quite a few up here in the North End. The middle run on Canyon Creek stilly is a great class 2+ run. And the middle run on the SF Stilly is a great class 3 run at moderate flows (5.5ft to 6.2) for boaters with a good roll looking to step up to their first class 3s. Also the lower part of the Sky (taking out at Big Eddy) is a great run to start stepping up to class 3s. On that one you can start by running from Railroad bridge... and then when you want a bit more, put in at Split Rock... and then you can work your way up to putting in just below boulder drop. And lower flows (1200-2000) are easier. You also will work your way up to harder rapids by stepping it up in level... 2000-3000 will feel bigger, as will 3000-4000, etc.

All of these runs are close by for me. So if you're interested in hitting any of them up, give me a shout.
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 9:20pm
Just wanted to throw out that the Wenatchee is still really fun at the level it's been for about a week now ~2000 CFS. There are still some fun but small waves a rodeo hole. A couple of rather tricky but still fun spots at Drunkards, and a fun little wave above Turkey shoot. Just a little boney through snowblind but nothing to worry about. If you happen to be looking to make a trip this weekend I think the Wenatchee is a bit more fun @ 2000 than the Sky is at the same level.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 8:36am

The Powerhouse Section of the Snoqualmie is also a good one - access is blocked so you have to start at the bottom and walk up the sides of the river, but its not that much of a hassle (think of it as a nice warm-up walk).  Or you can test your ferrying skills and see how much you can paddle upstream; managing eddies and ferrying are good skills to develop.   The Powerhouse has lots of beginner-friendly features to practice on.

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Kiren
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Kiren Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 11:45am
royhprum
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote royhprum Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 5:10pm
Hello Everyone!
My Name is Roy and I would like to on the list to have a buddy system with an experienced paddler.
I have run the wenatchee,skykomish,green river and a little bit of cispus.I have ran boulder drop in many diff. ik's just hardshelled it for my first time in four years.(play boat)
boofed the left side of ledge.I have no boat or paddle or skirt( the main stuff) i got a helmet ,dry top, and a pfd) I am in Enumnclaw .Right between the White River and Green river. 15 min. away from buckley if anyone is up for carbonado.PLease notify me on my email ( itzexigency@live.com) thanks!!

Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 3:36pm
While there's not too many paddlers from my region on here feel free to add me to the list (could do Hood River area, Deschutes, Wenatchee, Yakima, Spokane, etc.).
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 10:31pm
As soon as the Green and the MM come up, I am hoping for some after work runs before we run out of daylight. Keep an eye out for posts during the work week, becuase it will be last second trips or notice.
Nomad
royhprum
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote royhprum Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 1:13pm

As soon as i get a boat i willl most def. be able to do the green,white,puyallup,carbon and sometimes the skykomish.(money creek down to big eddy)

other than than im just trying to get my skills up.
royhprum
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote royhprum Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 1:13pm
only put an actual full 2 months within the last 2 years. But im willing to push my limit.
Paperweight
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Paperweight Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 3:59am
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 4:51am
Welcome... Hope to see you out there. I'm new too, and sporting an ancient wavesport xxx and a perception dancer. Not much training... but I've gotten a roll (recent). I think the main reason for that is my wavesport dunks me every time I go out. I've gone out with two different people I met at Prof. paddle and I've been really happy with their patience. I'll probably be more active after Christmas and maybe I'll check with you and see if you'd wanna hit a river with a newbie like me. :)
why not!
Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version