Professor Paddle: Never been, good skook level? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Never been, good skook level? Post Reply Post New Topic
po_standish
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote po_standish Replybullet Topic: Never been, good skook level?
    Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 12:30pm
Planning on flying into Seattle and want to make sure the levels for the dates I can surf Skookumchuck  will be worthwhile. Sunset will be close to 9 pm.

Sounds like the tour/whirlies can get "annoying" over 14, but the wave is good to go and worth the trip at this level? Previous experience is playboating on Garb on the Ottawa and a couple 100-170K events on the Potomac so am no stranger to big water.

Also, anyone know of place to rent some playboats?

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 1:50pm
Anything over 13 knots is going to green the wave out for a while, the higher you go the longer the wave will be green. Some people love that zone between 12-13. Others prefer 14-15 and then some love 15. Higher levels the wave runs shorter but has a bigger form as it builds and then declines. The tour of course is much nastier at higher levels too , and the likely hood of missing the eddy increases the with the higher flows.

My favorite is either 15knots or 13-13.5. I like 15 because there is a period where the wave is green mostly with this nice little 2-3' tuft of pile at the top. You can bust out huge huge air moves when the wave is like this because you drop a few feet off your bounce, at 13.5 the wave is much smaller when it peaks but it is great because you have a much longer session and there is never really a time that it is going so fast your worried about auto touring.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 4:12pm
Oh and for renting boats call either Aqua Sports in redmond. http://www.aqua-sports.com

or you can try and borrow someones play boats from around here. I have a riot nitro that I would lend out. It is pretty beat but it floats and would do the job.
po_standish
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote po_standish Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:33am
Thanks James, that is exactly the info about skook I was looking for. I dropped Aqua a line and waiting for call back. If I can't find a Project X56 I'll simply pony up the cash to fly it with united/alaska, but my wife is on west coast work travel and would really appreciate borrowing/renting a '07-09 Jackson Star.
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 8:16am
If you are gonna stay a couple days, the best way to do it is to paddle in to the wave the first day, and lock your boats to the rack till the last day, then paddle out.  There is a trail that will take you back to your cars.  There is also some sweet camping at a nearby lake.  Or you could rent a cabin.
po_standish
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote po_standish Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 8:26am

I read about the rack somewhere. That's awesome that someone (gov?) installed a rack. Which tide direction (ebb/flood) is best to paddle out on the last day if you leave your boat at the rack.

justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 10:22am
As long as you stick close to shore it doesn't matter which direction the tide is going.  The only harder part is getting around the corners, you should be fine.  You are going to have a blast!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 11:36am
Let me give you some advise...just paddle back and forth, don't bother with the trail, it sucks. Paddling back and forth is ten times easier and much more scenic. Or you can do like me and tow your play-boat out with a sea kayak then shuttle back and forth with your sea kayak while your there. That way you avoid all the stupid tourist blocking the trail!
Nomad
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 11:38am
Dave, you are totally right about using the sea kayak, but I wouldn't say the trail sucks.  As long as you bring a change of clothes for the hike, I think it's pleasant.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 11:55am
DON'T Try and go against the flow! Paddling out or back against the tide is a massive bummer mainly because you thread through shallow tidal channels and your paddle blades get all scratched up on coral. I love the Nitro out there because it is long enough to shred the green wave and still short enough to throw down like a clown.

Another serious consideration: email or contact Emily and Dru out there. They have a fat pad right on the water and they are the locals for sure. http://www.localsonlymovie.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27:a-trip-to-egmont&catid=2:news&Itemid=4
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 12:02pm

paddling back and forth easier than hiking trail!?  are you kidding D4?!! Maybe in your seakayak its easier but leaving your boat at the rack is way more chill than paddlin back and forth.  You shouldn't be hating on the hikers either.... that trail is super chill and way cool.  Good thing they haven't clearcut it yet so enjoy it, whether earlier am or late night hikes out, its a swell walk. 

Nothing worse than heinous amounts of flatwater paddling ... imho

Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 10:59am
I gotta ditto Mike, I will hike my boat out before I paddle out again. Way easier and faster.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 11:48am
I like to hike out and then take my boat and gear and rinse off in brown lake on the way back. It just seems like part of my skoosperience now. I eat fish and oysters from the sea, jog on the trail, and enjoy a nice rinse before going home.

Tips:
- When you load onto the ferry in a fake canadian accent yell put the "little ships on the big ship", they love that.
- Bring your own beer, canadian brew sucks, but Don't drink them on the ferry.
- If you need internet access during your trip there is a nice little web cafe in Madeira Park
- Don't mess with the Egmont Marina - They hate kayakers, if your camping stay at Klein Lake or by the Egmont Resort/Backeddy Pub
- The ferry back gets a nice line. If your going to try and time a last day surf with the ferry you might consider going online and reserving your ferry ticket so you are sure to get on. I have spend hours waiting to the next boat, it sucks.
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 4:05pm
James, lots of good pointers there.  Also if you are driving a truck, put the boats inside the truck to avoid over-height fees.  Skook is an awesome place!!!
po_standish
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote po_standish Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 7:31am
That's all really helpful--even the banter about hiking vs. boating. :-)

Anyone have any thoughts about new versus full moon?

At the Upper Yough Race this weekend a friend who use to frequent Skook said he preferred one over the other--can't recall which. Anyone here opin on that? Our dates have changed and will probably make for the later dates in August which means things will be a little lower and slower I guess. More dates in the 13knot range.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 2:55pm
I guess I just really like the paddle out there...it is really beutifull.

I think the full moon has bigger tide swings which means faster currents. You need to check the tide charts for that area, that is very important.
Nomad
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 3:00pm
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 3:06pm
What your friend may have been noticing is the difference in the wave based on how much water is in the inlet when the flood starts. How much water is in the inlet depends on how strong the ebb flow was. For example: you have a 14 knot day and the ebb was 8 knots prior to that (for purposes of labeling: 8-14). If you compare that to a 14 knot day with a previous ebb of 10 knots(10-14), the wave at 8-14 will probably be a bit better and taller than the wave at 10-14. What I have noticed over the years is that the less water in the inlet when the flood starts, the better and taller the wave is.

All this said, the wave will be the best wave you have ever surfed even in its supposed "worst" conditions. Seriously. Dont let people who have been there twice and claim to "know" the best level tell you: "oh yeah it sucks at 13 knots". It doesnt suck. Not at all. It will blow your mind.
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 3:15pm
weekend of the 26th of august will be sick. and crowded.
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 6:22pm
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version