Professor Paddle: Boat Recycling? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Boat Recycling? Post Reply Post New Topic
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doggievacation Replybullet Topic: Boat Recycling?
    Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 2:37pm
So I busted my Dagger Mamba beyond repair, now what do I do with it?  Do any recyclers or boat manufacturers accept old plastic boats?  Would someone want the plastic for welding projects?  How about the seat, foot rests, and associated hardware?  I have no plans to get another Dagger, so all that stuff (including stainless steel nuts, bolts, etc.) is of little use to me, but it might be to someone else.  About the only thing I can use are the minicell pillars.

I just HATE sending that much plastic to the landfill!  Help!

John
Don't waste water!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 3:35pm
John,
If you donate it to the UPS kayak club, I imagine that we would end up bolting it to a wall or something in our gear rental building (which is currently being redone, so i'm not sure if this is a viable option)
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:07pm
You could try sending the folks at Liquidlogic kayaks a message. I know they have a boat recycling program but am not sure if they only recycle their own boats.

You could also remove all the hard wear and cut it up in one foot square pieces and stick it in your recycling bin with all your plastic bottles and such.

Let us know what you end up doing and if you talk to LL and pass that info on.

Edited by Jed Hawkes - 13 Jun 2011 at 6:05pm
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 5:55pm
I checked the Dagger website first and, while they do not have a recycling program for their boats, they did suggest that the first thing you should do prior to making repairs or recycling is to contact the boat manufacturer with your boat's serial number to determine exactly what type of plastic was used to construct it.  Once that's done, you'll know what to say to potential recyclers.  I'm still waiting for info.  More on this later...

John
Don't waste water!
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 8:26pm
I would love to have the hardware and foam out of it.

The UPS can have the hull to bolt to the wall or if they don't want it, I'll deal with disposal/recycling.
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 7:45am
Reduce, REUSE, Recycle.  In this case, it looks like option #2 takes the prize:  someone here on PP contacted me about taking on my old Mamba  as a repair project, so I let him take it off my hands.  I don't imagine it will ever be as durable (safe) as before, but it would work well as a beginner boat so long as you can make it watertight again.  Good luck, Tyler!

I'm still curious about boat recycling options, however, and will post back here if I dig up information that might be useful to others.

John
Don't waste water!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version