Professor Paddle: Burn hull reinforcement vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Burn hull reinforcement Post Reply Post New Topic
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scott_H Replybullet Topic: Burn hull reinforcement
    Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 10:25am
I discovered that I already have a small dent in the hull of my one year old Burn right about where the seat is (damn you manky boofs!).  Its the same spot where I eventually developed a crack in my older Burn.  I think the constant flex in the hull of the old boat eventually allowed it to develop the crack.

So, is there anyone out with a Burn who has filled the space between the seat bottom and the hull with foam?  I was thinking I might do that so the dent is pushed out and it won't flex.  My only concern was if by covering that gap with foam I might end up with some jarring hits.

Just trying to prolong the life of the boat - I also welded the old Burn and will start using   that on any manky-esque runs that aren't too committing.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 10:57am
I did that with my everest and it worked fine. Basically what happens is more wear occurs on the rear hump of the dent so by evening out your hull you even out the wear from abrasion across a greater area. That dent has happened in pretty much every pyranha I have ever seen.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 11:49am

Mine has the same thing after little use and even less boofing.  Has anyone tried welding a medium burn inside of a large burn?  Maybe someone out there with excel drafting skills could put together a sketch of what this might look like and share it with the group.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 12:18pm
After I had to take out the seat to repair a crack, I performed some "preventative maintenance" on a couple other places where it was clear that stress would cause it to crack there soon.
From both sides I heated there areas up with the heat gun (not to the point of melting the plastic). Then I melted a line of plastic on the inside of the boat, along the stress point.
It seemed to work, as I've paddled the boat another 20 days or so and the bottom is still holding strong.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 12:29pm
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 7:08pm
another option would be to glue a kevlar strip along the bottom of the boat. i have done this in a canoe and it worked pretty well to stiffen up the hull. not sure about the logistics of this in a kayak, including bonding potential and whether the area is even available to be glues (is the seat track anchor in the way?
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 7:09pm
i mean on the inside bottom of the boat
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 9:07am

[/QUOTE]The only problem I can see with this idea is that if you boat a large burn then you might not fit in the medium. I would then suggest putting a large burn into an XL but they don't make one. Perhaps you could dip the hull in candle wax several times, I am not talking about the vanilla scented ones of course, probably best off with the pine scented xmas ones, that way animals would not smell you coming down river. Shrek could you do a quick calculation to determine how many candles I would need and the best way to dip my vessel into the wax?</element>[/QUOTE]

OR? Buy a different and better boat that doesn't fall apart?
Sure?
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by James

...the best way to dip my vessel into the wax?</element>

DO NOT dip your vessel into wax. I know a guy who knows a guy that had a very embarrassing conversation with an emergency room doc ...
Life is short, paddle hard!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version