Professor Paddle: Deschutes, Warm Springs to Sherars Falls vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Deschutes, Warm Springs to Sherars Falls Post Reply Post New Topic
mcolgin
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mcolgin Replybullet Topic: Deschutes, Warm Springs to Sherars Falls
    Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 4:01pm
Guiding my first raft this weekend on the Deschutes in Oregon. We're doing the Warm Springs to Sherars Falls section.

The level is close to max for the run, but I've never paddled the Deschutes; but I've heard the features wash out.

If anyone has run it, I'm looking for a beta or any advice.

In reading about it, it looks like I need to be aware of "Boxcar" (towards the end) and "Oak Springs Rapid".

Oak Springs Rapid: This video seems to show a nice "what not to do" after the clean line of the first raft. I've read the guides say the left-channel (this guys used the right-channel in video) at this point is their favorite at high-water... looks like a hole maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5fR915XUZQ

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 6:50pm
Oak springs rapid is near the end of the run.  The river will split around an island....and the river right channel has a large hole on the far right.  You can scout this from the road. 
Otherwise...I wouldn't worry about the rest of the run and you can get by with reading the river...nothing too difficult.

I've never guided a raft... but would feel comfortable guiding on this stretch... Its pretty casual. 

Kirk

Also... you should stop by Celestial falls on the White River for some awesome scenary and pics.... you will be driving right by it depending on where you turn. 
Kirk B
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 9:42am
I saw a boat get hung up on the shallows there where it splits around the island, but if it's at a higher level that should be avoidable. There's an awesome surf wave or two if you just before the rapid there if you can get your crew to paddle upstream hard enough :)
More water, please.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version