Professor Paddle: Shorty vs regular question for WA vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Shorty vs regular question for WA Post Reply Post New Topic
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warlickone Replybullet Topic: Shorty vs regular question for WA
    Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:01am
Hey Y'all,

I'm looking for a summer paddling jacket.

With 2mm neoprene and some fuzzy rubber, would a goretex semi drytop shorty be a useful piece for the WA summer? Or, should I just get a real long sleeve drytop at "ACK!" $400? I have a drysuit for cold days, need the right thing for summer WA boating.

Seems to me, if it's cold enough to warrant a real drytop, it's cold enough to not want to swim without a drysuit. What do you think of this logic?

Thinking about the Kokatat shorty semi drytop at $180 over some neoprene/rubber. Whatchathink?

Jim
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:16am

Depends on what you are doing. If you're playing on the Wenatchee a shorty would be great. However, for most creeky runs in the area, even if it is hot out, the water stays cold and you find yourself in the shade 50% of the time. I would vote for the drytop.

Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:17am
I wear a long sleeved IR Comp top in the summer in Washington, and it's really comfy. Short sleeves leave with me cold arms due to the chilly water, but the comp top has the comfort of not having a neck gasket. Good compromise.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 9:04am
I usually playboat in a shorty on the wenatchee but it greatly depends on the outside temp and sun being present. On a shady day with temps under 70 I start getting cold in a shorty and turn to the dry top. I usually boat in a drytop on all creek runs although cooper and fall in the wall are often shorty runs since they are short and generally well flavored in the sun. I have done Robe once in a shorty and thunder creek but both times were flukes when the sun was out after a nice summer rain. I have never worn a wet suit once in all the time I have paddled. I prefer fleece suits or pants and dry tops. Of course dry suits are a nice tool to have for those wet runs with long portages.
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 9:46am
Thanks for the word guys...drytop it is.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 3:25pm
What you need is some cheap ass used drytop. If the gaskets are blown so much the better. For me, an old drytop with a blown gasket or two is the cure for the summertime blues. Perfect for those hot days up at Fitwah, if they ever arrive. You gotta hike back up that rode if you wanna keep the laps in heavy rotation.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version