Professor Paddle: Gasket repair @home vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Gasket repair @home Post Reply Post New Topic
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doggievacation Replybullet Topic: Gasket repair @home
    Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:52pm

I’m not exactly a “Mr. Fixit” kind of person, but after paying to have my gaskets replaced a few times, I finally decided to spend $49 for a “neck gasket replacement tool” from The Kayak Academy.  (http://www.kayakacademy.com/Store/KA0TOOLNECK.html)  (Note:  Kokatat sells an identical tool kit for about $78.) 

Since purchasing the kit three years ago, I’ve replaced 5 neck gaskets and 5 wrist gaskets (for myself, my girlfriend, and my friends), so I guess I’ve recovered my original investment, and then some.  Here are a few thoughts…

Is it easy to replace a gasket?  Yes and no.  When you first get started, it takes a fair amount of time because you need to read the instructions VERY carefully before you glue the wrong side, cut the wrong thing, etc., etc.  But once you get the hang of it, it goes very quickly, maybe a half an hour per gasket.  I haven’t seen the instructions from Kokatat, but the instructions written by George Gronseth (at The Kayak Academy) are very detailed and helpful.  They also explain what to do if you’re NOT working with a garment made by Kokatat, which can be extremely important.  (Every manufacturer does things a little differently.)

If cost was no consideration, I would still replace my own gaskets for two reasons:

1) Turnaround time.  I can blow a gasket one afternoon and be out paddling with a new gasket the next morning.  (Let’s face it:  gaskets often blow at the worst times!  )

2) Choice of gaskets.  Personally, I hate Kokatat’s neck gaskets.  They start off so tight they nearly kill you, but if you trim them at all they’ll leak after the gasket has loosened up.  At least that’s been my experience.  My favorite neck gaskets are made by OS Systems.  The latex is a tad bit thinner and more elastic, but I have found they last just as long as Kokatat’s heavier gaskets. 

But the thing I like best about OS Systems gaskets is that they come in four different sizes.  (Kokatat only makes two sizes.)  I use the largest size (XL/XXL) even though I only have a size 16 neck.  What this means is that the gasket is perfectly comfortable from Day 1, but still keeps me dry at Day 150.  Plus, OS Systems is carried by a local dive shop in B’ham so I don’t have to drive over an hour to the nearest kayak shop to buy a gasket.  Or order one by mail.

Anyhow, that’s my take on things.  I suppose if you send your dry suit into Kokatat every year for leak testing, you could have all your gaskets replaced at the same time and just pay the extra cost.  At least you shouldn’t suffer a blow out during that year.  Expensive, but effective.  So far, I’ve been able to go over 2 ½ years without a leak test so, of course, I’ve had to change my own gaskets.  Works for me.

John

Don't waste water!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version