Professor Paddle: reccomd. throw rope and rescue vest? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: reccomd. throw rope and rescue vest? Post Reply Post New Topic
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Topic: reccomd. throw rope and rescue vest?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 4:08pm
Had one swiftwater rescue course and since I paddle mostly with clubs (yep a dreaded CLUB boater ) am now looking into expanding the kit to include a good throw rope and a rescue vest. I'd welcome any advice you all may have, as there are a lot of choices out there.

I did read this very helpful overview (obtained from another PP post):

http://whitewatersolutions.net/rescepfd.aspx

but wondered if anyone had experiences and observations that are more current or compelling.

Thanks in advance, I'm always amazed by the helpful feedback I get here when I've come asking for help.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 5:50pm
I roll with a Salamader Guide series that I alter a bit. The guide bag is waist worn so you never have an excuse to not have your bag on you. I've seen plenty of instances when people get out of their boat in an emergency and either: a) forget it and have to run back to their boat to get it, or b) spend precious time buggering around in the back of their boat trying to un-clip it. It also makes it easier to always have it with you like when you scout or any other extracurricular activities.

The guide has three compartments, one for the throwbag, one for a tow rope, and a third small one for a biner. I alter the bag by getting rid of the tow rope portion and use it as a stowage compartment for a pulley and a locking biner in addition to the biner compartment. This makes it easy to always have the requisite equipment on you in the event you need to z-drag something, and if everyone carries one locking biner and a pulley on them then your ready for any situation.

One issue with the waist worn is that people don't keep an eye on their gear and the the tail comes out and next thing you know you dragging 70 feet of line behind you down rapids.

also the rope is narrow guage so be sure to test your prussik rope on it before you need it for real, I carry a much narrower prussik loop to accomplish this.

Salamander also makes a bunch of other quality bags as well. NRS is ok too, but remember what the acronym stands for (Never Really Sweet, Not Ready Soon, Nefarious River Systems, Not Really Satisfying, etc.).

http://salamanderpaddlegear.com/product/salamander-guide-throw-bag
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 6:08pm
I use Northwater Rescue equipment for my throw bags and rescue gear.    They are a local company, and paddler owned! The Canyon Liner is a great piece, check out the links below. 

For Rescue PFD's   go with  Astral, or Stohlquist.    There are others out there, but these two companies have the best products IMO.

Edited by Fish - 10 Apr 2011 at 10:08pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:13pm
didn't see the rescue vest question. Like Fish said, Astral or Stolquist, I'm an Astral guy myself, but both are worthy products.
978-273-7723
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 9:34pm

You can definitely get a high quality throw bag through Whitewater solutions - I have a couple and there are a few others in the area. 

The guys that wrote that Rescue PFD review are still teaching swiftwater rescue down in Arkansas and are good guys to talk to - I think they just recently (within the last year) tested a few new vests.  E-mail Tim through the Whitewater solutions website and you'll get lot's of good info. 
Dave
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:29pm

the new Astral Green rescue jackets are two thumbs down.  The zippers in the stow pockets routinely open, the pull over is cumbersome and easily snags up, and WAY to many straps to tighten up.  Also, I think the floatation isn't as good as say Kokatat pro rescue vest.  It's still an OK rescue vest and will get the job done, just not one I would readily reccomend.  just my opinion

JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:32pm
Downstream is a locally owned company that has been making top notch thowbags for years. The only downside is their bags aren't super compact, so if you want a really small one to fit in your playboat, they may not be your best bet.

http://riverpeople.com/lifeline.htm
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 3:00pm
I have the Green Jacket tow line that stows in the zipper pocket on the side. It is an absolute nightmear to use...what happened to my font? It just changed all by itself in mid type? <> html,body{border:0px;} td {border:1px dotted #CCCCCC;}
Nomad
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 3:02pm
Keep the info coming folks- right now I'm leaning toward the Stolquist Descent for the vest (comments?) - the throw bag is less obvious as there are so many choices.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 4:04pm
Astral has a pocket for a small throw bag (they make a throw bag that fits it) so that you always have one with you.  Not sure if there are other PFD's that can do this.  It does add some bulk though. 

As Dave mentioned, the integrated tow line in the side pocket of the Green Jacket is challenging.  I can deploy it ok, but you have to load it a little carefully.  Once deployed, its hard to put it back in without taking off the vest.  I like the streamlined nature of it - keeps things out of your way, but I might switch to a cowtail all the same next go-around.

Didn't know about the bouyancy issues on the Astral - wish there was a place that tested them all with a standard measurement.  My biggest factors are bouyancy and cushion - I took a kayak in the back once and appreciated mightly the padding I had.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 5:11pm
http://www.coloradokayak.com/Stohlquist-X-traxt

Great deal on a rescue PFD
H2Ohta
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:57pm
The Astral pocket throwbag is useless and if anyone out there uses it as a primary bag they should rethink that. When thrown it doesn't deploy well and repacking it is a nightmare. It's good as a secondary but a proper bag is required. Oh, and it's too short.

The bouyancy difference between the astral green jacket and kokatat ronin is minimal the kokatat is: (BOUYANCY LB./OZ.) S/M (16/05), L/XL (17/05), XXL (18/00) and the astral is: 15.5 lbs..

I agree with scott about the padding, My Astral 300 definitely saved my back from serious damage on one occasion. Both the Ronin and Astral provide ample spine coverage. I'm partial to astral and the over-the-head design but the kokatat is a quality vest as well.
978-273-7723
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:08pm
I have one of the first year Greenvests. I find it easy enough to get the tether out, and I just snap the tether's biner onto the pull free strap after I use it until I can either get someone to repack it or safely get the vest off.

I have noticed that if I do not keep an eye on the tether pocket it can work its way open after a while. So far it has happened once in two years.

Kyle
I smell bacon
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 8:32am
I use the original green vest. It seems fine to me. I keep a waterproof headlamp in the front pocket so if I lose my boat I can still hike out in the dark. I use a traditional bungee cowtail/paddle biner. I clip this to a shoulder strap instead of using the tuck away kind.

If I had to replace my vest, I'd mail order from Europe one of the Palm rescue vests. They are not distributed in the US, but I've had two of them and they are excellent.

My throwbag of choice is the biggest one I have the muscle to throw. The NRS pro throwbag series is really good. I'm currently using a large one made by wildwasser (sort of a prijon associated brand). I keep carabiners on both ends of the rope. A rope is better if it is long, and fat enough for a swimmer to grip well. Dental floss ropes are less desirable. The limiting factor may be whether one can throw a big, wet, fat bag effectively.

Aye, new toys. Enjoy the shopping.

water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 9:27pm
I use the Ronin Pro. It has a simple design, fits well and has the features I use. Easy.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version