Professor Paddle: Another question as a poor paddler vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Another question as a poor paddler Post Reply Post New Topic
ENDO
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ENDO Replybullet Topic: Another question as a poor paddler
    Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 9:30pm
I got out this weekend and was freezing my ass off in just my wetsuit and drytop. I noticed that some people were wearing a bib type deal. I have a pair of chest waders that are very similar... But Im not sure how safe that is. Would it work? has anyone tried it?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jhoff
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jhoff Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 10:35pm
Not familiar with your waders, but even purpose-built kayaking drypants/dry bibs are considered pretty unsafe by some.

Click here for a PP thread discussing this topic
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 6:36am
Most waders are much thicker and stiffer than wetsuits. It would be a lot harder to get in a good roll position wearing them. I know this because when I took the intro to whitewater kayaking class I tried wearing a diving wetsuit and when I flipped I could hardly get into position to pull the spray skirt to swim.

Just more food for thought if you figure out how to keep them from flooding.

Kyle
I smell bacon
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 3:16pm
Now I'm second guessing the choice to purchase dry pants..anyways, I've never seen chest waders being used for paddling, but I've heard many stories of duck hunters and fishermen drowning from flooded waders. I've personally fallen over and flooded them (luckily it was shallow)..not easy to get out of and they become an anchor.
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 5:53pm

I used bibs with ankle gaskets and a dry top for several years in the winter.  I took many swims and would only get slightly wet in certain areas around my ankle or chest. 

I saw the same bibs for sale down in Portland this weekend at Next Adventure....  I think they were only around $100-$120.  They have a great new paddle store down there and might be available online. 

About the waders... I don't have any personal experience with them...  but if something is as good at keeping water out, it would also be good at keeping water in. 

This sport requires specific clothing to keep you safe.  The bibs I am referring to had a double tunnel you could roll up into the dry top...  The waders I'm guessing wouldn't have anything like that.

My $.02

Kirk
Kirk B
ENDO
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote ENDO Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 9:25pm
thanks all, just curious.
Post Reply Post New Topic