Professor Paddle: Kayaker killed in head-on vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Kayaker killed in head-on Post Reply Post New Topic
chuckj
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chuckj Replybullet Topic: Kayaker killed in head-on
    Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 9:08am
http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20110307/NEWS/303079998/-1/NEWS/suspected-drunken-driver-kills-port-angeles-nurse-in-two-truck-crash

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20110308/NEWS/303089990/bail-set-at-100000-in-vehicular-homicide-case

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20110308/NEWS/303089991/nurse-killed-in-crash-an-8216-eternal-optimist-8217-who-loved

For those of you who paddled with Ellen and Ken you know what a great experience it was.
She was always smiling, enthusiastic and encouraging and certainly deserved better than dying in a head on collision.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 9:45am
This is so very sad. My prayers go out to Ken and Ellen's family. 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 11:51am
"Steim was convicted of first-degree negligent driving in another incident in January.

She also struck a pedestrian while driving at night in Port Angeles in 2007 but was never charged with a crime in that incident, after which the pedestrian died. "

WHAT THE fu*k WAS THIS PERSON DOING WITH A VEHICLE AND A DRIVER'S LICENSE??? MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM YES I AM SHOUTING WITH ALL CAPS
More water, please.
Erik
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Erik Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 2:42pm
Wow.  Major bummer.  Such nice people.  The world can sure be cruel...

RIP Ellen.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 2:52pm
Too sad for words.  My heart goes out to her family and friends.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 2:53pm
A very big loss.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by up4air

"Steim was convicted of first-degree negligent driving in another incident in January.

She also struck a pedestrian while driving at night in Port Angeles in 2007 but was never charged with a crime in that incident, after which the pedestrian died. "

WHAT THE fu*k WAS THIS PERSON DOING WITH A VEHICLE AND A DRIVER'S LICENSE??? MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM YES I AM SHOUTING WITH ALL CAPS
Prosecutors take plea deals on the majority of their cases, and for DUI the most common plea is neg driving 1st. That is why the felony DUI law is such a joke. DUI conviction number have is felony, but almost nobody has five DUI convictions because they all get plead out to Neg 1's regardless of the merits of the case.

People fight DUI's tooth and nail becuse it results in loss of your drivers license. Prosecutors and cops hate DUI's because the rules of evidence are incredibly screwed up on them, the procedure for handling a DUI is rediculous. As a result there is a huge institutional incentive on both sides to take a plea.

Neg 1st does not require that the driver's license be suspended, and it is very close to a DUI as far as severity (but not punishment) so it is a easy sell to both sides.

If you really want to get pissed then look at the sentances for vehicular homicide. It is a class A felony with penalties that theoretically could include life in prison, but the common sentance in practice is between 18-36 months. Couple this with the fact that DOC is giving anywhere from 1/2-2/3 "good time" credits right now, and they will almost certainly include time she serves while waiting for trial in her sentance there is a good chance that she will be out six months after she is convicted. With such a short sentance DOC would probably get the county jail to take her instead which opens up the door for external confinement (house arrest).

This seems like fitting punishment for a homicide, right?

The death of the woman in 2007 was most likely a true no fault accident. They would have taken blood from her then to make sure she was sober, and while the sentance for vehicular homicide is not what it should be cops tend to charge it whenever they can.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 11:19pm

That is sickening to the core. It is sad to loose such great people in this world. Alcohol is the #1 killer of people every day in this country. It leads to not only impaired judgment and  loss of muscle control but it also does some of the most damage to a person’s body and our minds. From stunted brain development to liver damage, and worse ( the most sickening of all) is the taking of another's life because people can’t go without it until they get home or to where they will not be driving.( IT’s called irresponsibility!)  Which, in turn takes from everyone’s life that crossed that persons path, or line.

I know from not only taking classes and going through some leadership camps as a child that the worst drug out there. Is Alcohol!! How is it that it is so widely used and excepted? Because of how much revenue it produces, that’s why. Most people in America don't even think of it as a drug....Because it’s “Legal”! Stop the abuse and either make alcohol illegal again, or make people wait three months to go through a back ground check to get their hands on some. (or just be responsible and care about yourself enough to care about the other lives around you!!).

Ask yourself this question, have you ever driven drunk? Do you often? Then expect at some point you will either kill or be killed when you get behind the wheel. Like a gun a car is not a toy. It is a tool built to make life easier but somehow they always seem to do more harm than good, especially when in the hands of the wrong operator.

Another life lost over this poison, so many of us have abused or will at some point or another. I just hope her death will not be in vain. There is always something to be learned from a tragedy which this is and WE as her friends, and fellow paddlers, as people have to make sure her life wasn’t taken for nothing

My most humble condolences to her family.

R.I.P Ellen.

There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 2:48pm
thanks Kyle, for reminding me how messed up our system is. I have a friend who got a DUI in a parking lot (in CA). Wasn't even driving.

I'm sure this kind of things happens every day, it's just harder to accept when it happens to someone in your community.
More water, please.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version