Professor Paddle: Orange Mineral Seeps vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Orange Mineral Seeps Post Reply Post New Topic
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Monk Replybullet Topic: Orange Mineral Seeps
    Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:53pm
Hey boaters-

I was wondering if any of you have stumbled across small orange mucky seeps in the North Cascades.  The one pictured is on Money Creek at low water, but I've seen them on the NF Sky downstream of the larger mineral spring at Garland, near Sloan Creek and on the NF Sauk.  I'm curious if there are some others out there that anyone's stumbled across.  Usually you'd miss them, unless out of your boat.

Full disclosure, I'm a geothermal geologist and curious about the hydrology at these features.

Thanks.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:55pm
Oh ok...  I saw the pic first and thought you were saying this was Gold... ahahah

I always thought they were run off from Iron deposits.

I have seen them all over, on the Green, Cedar, in the woods by my house in Renton, they are up and down the Sultan too

Edited by James - 17 Feb 2011 at 12:56pm
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:56pm
check river right toward the top of Boulder Drop.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 2:35pm
James-
Some of these features are likely related to local buried iron (read logging cables/railroad tracks/mining equipment), as the orange is probably caused by siderophilic bacteria, and as such not really indicative of larger systems.  But we have also seen them in association with cold carbon dioxide springs around the Cascades which are quite elusive.
Brett-  I'll check that out next time I'm up there.
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 2:39pm
We used to have these at my family's old house in Kent. They would flow off the hill into our pool. We always thought it was an iron deposit until someone built a house on the lot uphill of us. Turns out a farmer buried an old tractor, and the tractor  was rusting.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Wiggins

We used to have these at my family's old house in Kent. They would flow off the hill into our pool. We always thought it was an iron deposit until someone built a house on the lot uphill of us. Turns out a farmer buried an old tractor, and the tractor  was rusting.

Kyle

Unless it was a toy tractor, it probably had a fair amount of iron in it.  I've never built a tractor though, so I could be wrong.
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 4:28pm

Money Creek got it's name for a reason.  I've actually heard it's the best creek to pan gold in the region.

On that note, I swear last time I was on the creek, I was broached sideways on a boulder, looked down and saw a nugget the size of an egg, but flushed before I could reach down and grab it.  I coulda been rich, rich I tell ya!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 3:06am
I've seen some isolated small deposits like you describe- but can't recall all of the places-  I'm familiar  with the spot Bret refered to on the Sky.

I tend to associate them with tanic acid related to strip mining because where I grew up paddling on the Cheat River in West Virginia (playboating that makes the Wenatchee seem bland and sparse by comparison), the effects were on such a large scale that the entire riverbed was a rusty orange- all the way from put in to take out.

in fact , I used to tell the people in my raft that if they wore their gold jewelry down the river, they would end the trip with some bright shiny gold, provided the river spirits didn't manage to liberate them from such worldly posessions before they reached the T.O.  (one of the many witicisms borrowed from jP The Elder- gotta give credit where credit is due)

But as humorous as that sounds, it wasn't an exageration- I mean, the whole canyon looks like it came out of Chester Cheetah's factory.

Sadly, the effects all but killed a once vibrant rafting industry on the Cheat, a stretch way better for rafting than anything Washington has to offer (talkin strictly whitewater here, er--uh- orange water), though the season is short.

Somehow I just know Chester Cheetah does crystal meth. I just know it.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 3:20am
I don't know about Washington so much(refering to various mineral deposits- we know there's plenty of Meth in Washington, and way too many bags of Cheetos

On the Yellowstone River we used to stop at an eddy on River right somewhere between the "Gardiner Stretch" and Yankee Jim Canyon and show the peeps the hot springs trickling in there- definitely lots or iron and sulfur deposits in that case. The spring wasn't big enough to soak in beyond warming your feet. I never let anyone out of my raft there anyway- the place deserves to be preserved. It resembled the formations found up at Mamoth Hotsprings, not far up the Gardiner River.

Plenty of Cheetos to be found in abundance there, too.

Cheetos. that must be it.

Bret- next time you head up to the Sky you ought to bring some  plain 'ol corn chip product with you and dip it into that stagnent orange pool and see if it tastes like Cheetoes.

There's gotta be some sort of Class Action suit we can muster against that damn methed out Cheetah! He must be stopped!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:59am
Monk:

Awesome pic-- thanks for sharing it

Siderophilies are really common, as I'm sure you know. You'll see them all over the place, year round, but during certain times of the year when the water table rises, you'll see them more often off the side of riverbanks. They're indicitive of the oxidation of carbon and other organic matter, and organic matter dissolving in water, as you stated.

This is all part of the glorious cycle of nutrient recycling by microbes!!

Yellowstone is one of the greatest places to see microbial cycles and other extremophiles!!
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 10:12am
Jp, I'll get right on that.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by GHannam

Yellowstone is one of the greatest places to see microbial cycles and other extremophiles!!

what did you call me?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 7:12pm
In her defense we were all thinking it!

Kyle
I smell bacon
jella
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote jella Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 10:28pm
check out AK, the Kennicott River has many wonderful geological features you will not see anywhere else. As many other rivers up there. In the Kennicott/McCarthy area there is one of the worlds larges copper mines. It is not mined, was once tried, unfortunately the million dollar bridge blew out before they could hall anything out. Now, it was one of the worlds most sacred beautiful, rural places to visit, raft, kayak..... pretty much anything outdoors. It is a little slice of heaven. I highly recomend it to anyone looking for an adventure.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Wiggins

In her defense we were all thinking it!

Kyle

I guess I can't be surprised ~ sigh!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋