Professor Paddle: Brain Trust ? - Spare Air vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Brain Trust ? - Spare Air Post Reply Post New Topic
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JayB Replybullet Topic: Brain Trust ? - Spare Air
    Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 3:17pm
Hola:

This product (http://www.spareairxtreme.com/) is something that I've thought about from time to time, and it has come up again after the recent close call on the MM.

I've tried to analyze my own rationale for not really considering it, and really haven't come up with what I consider a good (rational/practical/etc) reason.

The first thing that comes to mind is looking like a goofball and having to field questions about the goofy mini-air tank thingy on my chest, field questions about how often I swim, get unsolicited feedback about working on my technique, re-assessing my skill-to-river class ratio, etc. Seriously. Sad but true. Terrible reason in my book but there you go.

The second, and better reason has do do with wondering if I'd actually be able to use the thing when it counted - particularly when being trashed in a violent recirculating hole. There are other scenarios when it seems less implausible - I've heard several undercut-entrapment stories where people weren't being violently trashed - it was just a matter of finding their way to the surface before they lost consciousness.

Don't think it'd help in a full-on limb entrapment scenario - but you wouldn't be any more dead at the end.

Anyhow - just wondering if the reason that no one uses these things is driven by vanity, doubts about practicality, etc and would appreciate feedback from the PP brain trust.

In principle - the idea doesn't seem too terribly different from the avalung, and the last time I went BC skiing on a powder day five out of six people were wearing them.

Many thanks.
-Jay
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 5:32pm
For fun, have a motor boat drag you behind it for about 30 seconds without noseplugs or PFD and try and use it. If you are stunt boating, what the hell. Before that...

Do range-of-motion exercises to keep shoulders loose and works them just a little. Do it most days of the week. Do something most days that is strenuous, even for a few minutes. Work on the roll. Get good and fast with your roll. Playboating is an excellent, fun way to perfect many ways of rolling up fast. Eventually the fear will leave you and you will simply roll up.

If you're going into a cave, or back in an undercut room where you will be underwater for several minutes??? Who knows... it's a total crapshoot from my vantage point. And... if I am upright and in control I don't have to worry about air. I like taking preventative measures, rather than after the fact. If the margin of error is really that close, I'll probably walk it.

And maybe it just is   that no one uses them and they are simply foreign. Recently I saw a posting from a fire dept which posted a photo of one of their own rigging systems for a certain local rescue scenario and they had basically ZERO biners in the entire system. Rope-on-rope, especially dry rope, can burn through pretty quick. They had mechanical advantage built into the system. Apparently, in their training, metal "bear claws" and other rigging plates, as well as standard carabiners and prussiks are foreign to them.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 6:59pm
Those are good points Brett, and I hope that more folks at your level will chime in.

I've made trying to prevent bad swims by building up pretty much every aspect of my skills and experience, and maintaining what I think is a reasonably conservative skill-to-river-class ratio my number one strategy for staying alive and totally agree that doing so is the best plan.

Having said that - Scott had the same philosophy, and has the same skill level, experience, etc (and also has better cardio and is a way stronger swimmer via his many years of competitive swimming) and still came pretty close to flush drowning on a river that was way below his top-end boating level that he'd done over 100 times. Ditto for Jim O'Brien - pretty much the most solid creeker in that part of the country, who did tragically drown on a run that was way, way, way below his max that he'd run at least 100 times.

I've taken the same approach with travel in avalanche terrain - that is, putting the vast majority of my efforts into staying out of avalanches in the first place - but I still carry a beacon and wear an avalung while I'm out there.

I'm not planning to rush out and buy one of the spare-air deals, but I thought it'd be worth discussing why pretty much no one seems to use something that (at least on paper) doesn't seem to have many theoretical downsides (e.g. won't make you any more dead) other than costing $250 (way less than my paddle) and looking goofy.
-Jay
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 7:31pm
Jay,
Good topic.

I'm not at Brett's level of kayaking but I will chime in from an actuarial standpoint

Since I started paddling 4.5 years ago, I've reviewed the accident reports on AW.

Roughly speaking, 1/3 of the whitewater deaths each year are yahoos doing something stupid. Not wearing a pfd, going down the river in an inner tube, etc. So, I say to myself, "That can't happen to me."

Then, 1/3 of the deaths are people "running the sh*t." Well, I say to myself, "That can't happen to me."

Then you are left with 1/3 of the deaths that could happen to me. The obvious question is how many of those deaths could be prevented with this type of product. I don't know the answer to that question but if it was most, it would be an easy purchase decision for me.

I suspect, though, for most people, a better investment of $250 (or so) would be for a full face helmet. There are two types of people in the world - people that divide people into two types and people that don't. Seriously though, there are two kinds of kayakers - kayakers that have hit their face and kayakers that will hit their face. Yeah, I know, you probably aren't going to die because of that hit. But, you only have one face.
arn
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 7:54pm
Good input Arno.

I'm with you on the full-face. Wore one on tougher, trashier ones for a while but after upgrading to the Sweet FF, which is just a better helmet all around, I started comparing the cost (more than the helmet) and the pain of a good bash to the face and now wear the FF most of the time.

I've also found that it's much easier to stay relaxed and focused on a roll in shallow, trashy water when you're not worried about having your face smashed in...

Incidently - I've had all of my worst shots to the head on easy rapids.
-Jay
jhoff
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jhoff Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 2:11pm
And 5 years ago the the full-face was a niche, novelty item. Doesn't quite seem to have fully caught on here, but I'm from back east and this year's Moosefest I'd say fully 3/4 of the boaters were wearing them.

So maybe in a few years we'll all be rocking the Spare Air Xtreme(!!!!!). Looks like it could be made a lot less clunky for paddlers though - it'd be cool to see Astral take a shot at the concept.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 3:09pm
I've been trying to convince people for years that the cutsie helmets that don't even cover your ears are no good.  I've seen them where they are even made of Kevlar and super expensive yet half of your head is exposed.  Full ear coverage is especially important for oarsman.  I wear a full ear coverage Jofa hockey helmet and I don't give a damn how it looks.  I went on a commercial trip on the MF of the Salmon with rescue guru and legend Les Bechdel's outfit and was pleased to see he puts all of his customers in Jofa hockey helmets exactly like I wear.  Thats about as much of an endorsement as I need.

I could have been easily killed this last December on the Sky, an easy familiar run that I have done hundreds of times.  The flow was low and as I was lining up and anticipating where to put my oar between House Rocks, my blade hit a rock.  The handle of my oar came at my head like a gunshot.  I turned my head just in time to have the handle crack me right on the ear and side of my head.  It hit so hard I was seeing stars as if it were one of those hits I took playing football that didn't quite require the smelling salts.  If I had been wearing one of those cute kevlar 250 dollar helmets with no ear coverage I would have been knocked out cold.  Swimming unconscious on the river is asking to be killed.

Go for protection over style.  I totally support everyone wearing the full face helmets....
MORE RAIN PLEASE
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 3:20pm
yeah, I hear ya an all...

I think the true moral of the story is to try to keep an open mind (something I admit to not always neing good at doing), and to remember that everything is a double edged sword.

Oars, IMO are dangerous on rocky, technical streams. Yet they provide amazing leverage and power as well as having many other advantages.

FULL FACE HELMETS: yup, good for what they are designed to do, yet I have seen people's faces get jacked up recantly BECAUSE they were wearing them.

A high float can keep you floating high in big booming sh*t. It can also keep you from getting out of the same recirculating hole that someone else with a 15 year old PFD subbed out through.

Brick houses keep the big bad wolf out, but won't help you in an earthquake.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 4:26pm
I don't like the spare air concept because the only place I see it being within reach when I need it is in my PFD. If I put it in there I would have to put my throw bag somewhere else, and I see the throw bag as being more handy. Plus I doubt I am getting to any of that spare air when it hits the fan.

I wear a fullface almost all the time. I don't know how one could make you hurt your face, but I think they stop more injuries than they cause.

Kyle
I smell bacon
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:32pm
I'm also wondering whether the spare air is compatible with a full face helmet. I haven't looked closely enough at how the SA mounts but I know that even my water bottle isn't compatible with my Sweet FF helmet! I have to take the helmet off to drink. And, I'm quite sure if I am getting trashed in a hole, running out of air is deadly but taking my helmet off isn't sounding particularly desirable either.

Another question I would have is on the basic maintenance of the product. It doesn't hold many breaths and I'm assuming that you'd need to test it from time to time to make sure it still functions properly. It looks like you can purchase an adapter to refill the spare air via a scuba tank but that is probably a bit of a pain if you aren't a diver.

Again, not trying to trash the concept - just trying to understand how effective it could be and what other limitations it has.
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 6:02pm
Great point Arn:

Seems obvious now that you mentioned it - but from what I've seen there's no way that you'd be able to access the bite valve thingy if you're wearing a full face helmet, since (as far as I understand it), it's designed to be mounted on your chest and accessed by leaning downwards and clamping onto the valve.

I think that realistically, the safety tradeoff between wearing full-face helmet and a Spare-Air device as it's currently configured definitely favors the full face, helmet by a pretty substantial margin.

Of course, that same tradeoff wouldn't be an issue if you're the type of person who never wears a full-face then I suppose it's not as clear cut....

-Jay
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:19pm
It seems like your confidence is shaken and you are looking for something that is going to give it back to you. That "thing" is you!!! You are the only one that can give yourself confidence in paddling. You can buy some new gear, or get suggestions from other people but when you seal that skirt and push off, it is up to you. I do not know what level you paddle at but my suggestion to you is to focus on the fundamentals. Make hard moves in easy(ier) rapids, and, importantly, learn and focus on your stokes and technique. Go back to the basics!!! The strokes are the same whether you paddle Class V or Class I. When it comes down to it, you are the only one that is going to get yourself out of a situation, and that is not the time to be wondering which stroke to take and how to take it. Take your time in learning and learn the right way. Keep paddling!!!
All the best,
Chris Ohta
H2Ohta
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version