Professor Paddle: Infant PFD vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Buy \ Sell \ Give \ Receive
 Professor Paddle : Classifieds : Buy \ Sell \ Give \ Receive
Message Icon Topic: Infant PFD Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Infant PFD
    Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 11:59am
Just curious if anyone has recommendations, ideas about what to look for or just experience they might want to share.

I am looking to buy an Infant PFD in the next few months and shopping around for one that looks like the right fit. Ideally it will be for children between 6months and 2 years old. I figure somewhere between 10lbs - 30 lbs.

Here are the ones I have been looking at so far.

Stohlquist Nemo Infant PFD

MTI Infant PFD

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 1:25pm

James,

If you are interested, we have a Stohlquist Nemo PFD for infants in excellent condition ( no bird dung or any snot balls )  that will be looking for a new home soon.  Judah just pushed over the 40lb mark and we've been switching out the old car seats to booster seats.  SO, you can have the pfd (used less than 10oX)  for free if you like... you just have to pay us a visit some time when you get out to our neck of the woods.  We got lots of other odds and ends for kids too but those things are mostly broken, beaten, or  off to good will. 
At anyrate, you got some time .... it could be a year before Lydia lets you go strapping on a pfd to the new Amandus.  It goes without my saying - "You be good to that gal, as she's getting further along each day".  
cheers daddy'O 

WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 1:31pm
They just cry when you put a PFD on them. Best bet is to just hold them or not let them get into the drink. They gonna drown whether they fall in with or without a PFD. Maybe your kiddo will tolerate it better.

D

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 1:33pm
Thanks Mike, heck yea I would be interested in it. And I would gladly kick down some moolaa. I don't know when I will be up there next. I plan on doing an overnighter on the green the 19th - 20th so maybe the weekend after that one.

We have already had the 6 month conversation about the PFD. I have explained that I am not going to try to take her down the river or anything I just want that baby in the water as soon as possible.

On a seperate note. How old was Judah the first time you guys went camping / hiking overnight with him?
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 6:23pm

yo D, the lifejacket is not meant for a baby to just get wet with as you swim laps in the pool... of course you already knew that, huh.  what's this crazy 'story' bout you runnin Robe all by your lonesome today... 7' ?  Is that safe!??!  LOL

James,
mmm.... let's see, the first time we (B&me) took J camping he was 6mnths old.  We were trying for a nite at Mowich lake, but not long after setting up camp, dinner and just before bed we had to bail.   Mostly it was a case of a crying unhappy baby in a very unfamiliar setting with other campers trying to enjoy the setting without a screeching kid in the background.  So we bolted and our first attempt was a failure.

The second attempt succeeded in large measure because we hiked so far IN that escape was impossible- ThunderLakes nr Trap Lake.  Judah was just over a year old, so a bit more tolerant, but that night was horrible.  Sadly we've never done anymore camping in the backcountry other than lots of nights in the van, which IS a great way to manage the chaos of having a kid. 

POOL TIME is HUGE!  Beth and I spent many hours with J in the pool @ our apt. in Federal Way.   That and taking him to the YMCA for fun swims and lessons has really helped get him loving the water.  Our big thrill in the summer is hanging out on the NFSky when water is low, then with a kickboard we 'eddy out' into the current and cruise the mellow water downstream for a little ways.  Walk back up rockbar and repeat.  pretty fun stuff on a sunny hot day with the kiddo

Anyways, look forward to seeing you out this way sometime....

Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 7:49pm
I think Katie was about 3 months old when we took her hiking the first time down the Robe Canyon Trail.  Then she was 8 months when we took her weekend camping for the first time out on the OP.  Then at about 9 months she experienced her first PP Ball. Since then, she's been out quite a bit and mostly does great - we just have to make sure there's something for her to do. 

Dave
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 8:29pm
all great info thanks

were hoping to be out as much as possible but within reason.... lydia made me add that reason part
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:05am
We had the kids in the pool starting at about 3 months old.  We'd dip their little feet in and the bounce them in the water and other fun things.  The local indoor pool are great.  Babies get cold easily though so keep a watch on their color.  They can't shiver or warm their bodies up yet. 
As for hiking we went' on many day hikes at first and then took them out in our camper at around 3 months.  They did great.  I have another friend that backpacked with theirs very early on and just made sure to bring everything to keep them warm and comfy.  Now the kids backpack in with us and love it.
Courtney
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 3:43pm
I did some shopping and this is what I found...

Animal included.

1150lbsofaire
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote 1150lbsofaire Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:53am
id go with the second choice because im a big fan of the crotch strap cuzz little once have a way of wiggling out of things.
on a side not cashmere to Leavenworth is a great run for little once so is some of the lower sky stuff along with all the major drainages on the OP
lookin for a bow cap for a storm
1150lbsofaire
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote 1150lbsofaire Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:55am
congrats!!
my best two days on the river last year were the over nighters with the kids for sure
lookin for a bow cap for a storm
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Blair

LMAO!!  That's both awesome and hilarious at the same time. I just got an image/thought of TMNT!!! All he needs is a headband! Too bad the PFD isn't green...
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 2:20pm

James-- your enthusiam is inspiring!! I hope to see pictures of her first adventure!!  

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version