Professor Paddle: American Whitewater soliciting input user fees for vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: American Whitewater soliciting input user fees for Post Reply Post New Topic
okeefe
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote okeefe Replybullet Topic: American Whitewater soliciting input user fees for
    Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:04am
In light of the challenges the state is facing with the budget a new fee structure is being proposed for DNR and WDFW lands in Washington State. Please take our survey so we can collect input on the attitudes and thoughts of the paddling community.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q9RG2QP

Edited by James - 14 Jan 2011 at 11:48am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:37am
Thanks.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:42am
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:43am
Fixed it for you.
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:48am
Thanks Tom, Important stuff indeed.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:55am
I don't need to open my mouth on how I feel about this.... but I really want too.... but I won't

My Thanks go out to all you hardworking tax payers out there.
idaho_h2o
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote idaho_h2o Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by James

I don't need to open my mouth on how I feel about this.... but I really want too.... but I won'tMy Thanks go out to all you hardworking tax payers out there.

I don't know what your opinion is but I think more people should speak out about these issues before we find ourselves locked out of our own land.

To me it seems immoral to charge for access to PUBLIC land. Especially in tough economic times, charging people for one of the few rewarding, low cost activities available is just wrong. What is the end result? Those with the means are allowed access while those less fortunate are locked out.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 12:31pm
Idaho, I guess if you knew my history of ranting on such matters you would appreciate my attempt at personal constraint... I will continue my vow of silence.... after this brief outburst.

I am with you all the way, unfortunately if your living in washington, I believe the phrase would be "I don't think were in Kansas anymore todo"... There is little sacred here, we trample on rights and liberty to reach for a couple of bucks so we can portray a glorious example of humanity and effort all while squandering the true products that we have taken from the people.

Hey Welcome to Washington!
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:03pm
My guess is this thing will go through despite any pissing and moaning from us. I took the survey, anyway.

Since this thing will likely go through, my only request is that I ACTUALLY see police presence at high break in areas (almost exclusively the Wenatchee). I would pay for extra security at these places. Do I think it will happen? No. What will happen is they will use our money to buy signs that say "High car prowl area. Place valuables in trunk." and the cops will continue to dish out speeding tickets to gapers on HWY2 rather than preventing real crime.
kurle
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kurle Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:56pm
a $40 pass that every person must carry. ridiculous.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Ellingferd

Do I think it will happen? No. What will happen is they will use our money to buy signs that say "High car prowl area. Place valuables in trunk." and the cops will continue to dish out speeding tickets to gapers on HWY2 rather than preventing real crime.

I think they will stop by every now and then but not to check on breakins, only to write fines for everyone that did not post their little permit, and then go back to the speed traps... of course while they are writing all the speeding tickets you can rest assured your car is going to get broken into...

Does anyone know Exactly how many passes this would require us to have now?
AaronS
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AaronS Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:46pm
Even if I thought the idea of this fee was a good idea, I don't like the idea of legislation that allows the DNR to collect fees in general. That's a-whole-nother level of abuseable power.
If you're not prepared to be wrong you'll never come up with anything new.
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:49pm
NW forest pass, snopark permits, new DNR, WDFW. Yowsers.   At least for the forest pass part of the proceeds go to trail and trailhead maintenance.     
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
Shaun
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Shaun Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 5:36pm
I am not too far away from not being able to see out my front windshield because of all the passes and permits that I have.  This is getting ridiculous.

I completely agree that the cops will still spend 90% of their time handing out speeding tickets, and the other 10% looking for people who don't have the correct pass for where they are parked. 

I had better stop, I am getting worked up...
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 6:19pm
After takeing the survey, it looks like they want us to have a permit on your person while running the river? So, when we get to the takeout will the cops be waiting for us to write us tickets if we dont have our permits on us? Arnt the people that make all these laws and fees fat and sit behind desks all day never even getting out to enjoy the rivers?
Nomad
jtemus
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jtemus Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:56pm
Yeah this sounds outrageous.
In Idaho and now in Wyoming they have "Invasive Species Permits" These are a bit different from the forest pass, but none the less they create a burden for the whitewater community. Its between $8 - $15 a sticker and you need to have one on any boat that you use in any of the rivers. They sit at the take-outs and road checkpoints to make sure you have the permits. This is done through the Department of Fish and Game.
Besides that on some rivers the National Forest service has rangers that sit at the put-ins and take-outs watching for other violations, I'm a little bitter because I got caught being in a group with one person over the limit (we had 16 and the limit is 15 people) and ended up with a $300 fine.
So between road checkpoints and rangers sitting at the take-outs I think that things are ridiculous. Looks like things could be heading that way in Washington too.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 8:21pm
Here is a radio interview with Mark Mauren the assistent division manager of recreation/public access for the DNR, and why he feels this is the way to go.

http://www.kuow.org/mp3high/mp3/Conversation/ConversationB20101118.mp3
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by AaronS

Even if I thought the idea of this fee was a good idea, I don't like the idea of legislation that allows the DNR to collect fees in general. That's a-whole-nother level of abuseable power.

Aaron, I couldn't agree more. Actually, I agree with all of you-- this is getting ridiculous! I understand for certain locations such as Forwst Parks to have fees for maintenance on things like toilets, but how far will the power of politics continue to tax/ticket/charge for the use of our own public lands?? The outdoors is where I feel the most freedom as a citizen and yet I'm beginning to pay more money for these permits than I do on my monthly phone bill-- between the National Forest permits, State Forest passes, fishing liscences to park in areas I don't even fish in, lottery tickets/fees for backpacking trails... The list goes on. My glovebox has so many permits in it, I have difficulties closing it!

... Wow! I didn't realize how much this is beginning to bother me. Sorry for the rant [:/] I shall add my little tidbit to the Survey soon enough.

Thanks Thomas for letting us know about the Survey-- much appreciated
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version