Professor Paddle: New Waterfall Record? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: New Waterfall Record? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Shaun
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shaun Replybullet Topic: New Waterfall Record?
    Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 4:28pm
Anyone hear anything about Anton Immler's supposed new waterfall record?

The suspense is killing me!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 4:32pm
Quote from EG on FB: "Watched Anton Immler fire up the biggest sh*t we have ever seen. New World Record! Broken helmet and paddle, but he stuck the sh*t out of it! Truly amazing day to be apart of...footage is off the hook."
H2Ohta
kurle
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kurle Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 4:35pm
nutty
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 5:52pm
I am hoping it is 186 feet and six inches!

Kyle
I smell bacon
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 12:56pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 3:14pm
Now imagine what he could do with thigh straps!

Kyle
I smell bacon
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 4:57pm
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 7:14pm
I wish I was that funny...
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by H2Ohta

Quote from EG on FB: "Watched Anton Immler fire up the biggest sh*t we have ever seen. New World Record! Broken helmet and paddle, but he stuck the sh*t out of it! Truly amazing day to be apart of...footage is off the hook."

eehh... I wouldn't say 'he stuck the sh*t out it'. But then again, I'm not Evan Garcia   
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 8:13am
"the most extreme thing man has ever done" hah- do we laugh or cry at hype like that? It spits on the achievements of people like Laird Hamilton or the late John Bachar whose monumental achievements in the realm of extreme sports have redefined what is possible. With sustained focus, precision and mastery, while looking down the barrel of the big one, these a just a few of the people who manifest the true spirit of being a champion.

Jumping down the waterfall is ballsy but it (I'm gonna get shelled for this I figure) seems to have more in common with the crazy s-t of wildcats like Evel Knievel- gun-n-go sports.. Good fun indeed.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:03am
a stunt for sure(by a skilled pro). mokelumnekid's post makes me think of a documentary I saw on hulu.com (thanks James) about a man who grew up in the mountains and changed the way many people, but mostly himself, look at the sport of climbing. The most challenging aspect, shutting off the mind and being present with what is. Reinhold Messner. He owns a castle now and runs tours through it.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:22am
Is it really taller than Palouse??
MORE RAIN PLEASE
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:30am
I can't help but think we've missed some tongue-in-checkedness here.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:37am
Kayak sessions says that it was a hoax, apparently to draw more attention to themselves I guess. I guess getting paid to go kayaking isn't enough.

http://www.kayaksession.com/kayak-life-1.php?no=599

If anything this stunt downgrades any waterfall accomplishment showing that any gaper with enough balls/ovaries can run 60+ footers.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:40am
I seem to remember someone "running" Celestial Falls on an inflatable shark or other pool toy in some 90s video.  All in good fun.  And if it is a publicity stunt, it worked
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 10:02am
I think the whole thing was complete trash for one and only one reason.
Like monk said it had been done before in a more original format. At least when celestial got run it was in pool toys and they were full on having a blast, trying little boof kicks and what not, that and they tossed in some humor. They put it in as a little clip but not as some attention getter or big stunt. This was just a straight rip off.

Was it a joke sure, did it take some balls sure. Does it have anything to do with breaking the current record... no, but worst of all it had little to no originality other than the redbull and vodka.

Then again I am a total waste of a ton of peoples time too, so who am I to complain...
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 3:29pm

The footage was well done, but I can't say much else for it... At first I thought, "it doesn't look taller than Palouse", but then I realized I may be comparing apples to oranges. Is this a new world record for inflatable craft? If so, I have no idea what the previous record was. If not, then until it's confirmed to be more than 186.2 feet I'm not convinced.

Have to say also that the end of the video looks spoofy with the Smirnoff and Red Bull...

In the end, I hope that Anton Immler had fun running it and that the rest of them had fun making the video. If it's a record breaker, good for them. If not, well, I hope it was all in the name of "fun" anyways.
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 10:51pm
I thought the record was 189.5ft. They did an official remeasure of Palouse and so it was 189.5, not 186... FYI
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Blair

I thought the record was 189.5ft. They did an official remeasure of Palouse and so it was 189.5, not 186... FYI

Thanks for the correction, Blair! I'm trying to recall where I remembered 186.2ft... I can't remember now. Musta been from something else? I've been running a lot of data at work; maybe that's taking a bigger toll on me than I thought-- it's like I'm dreaming numbers *haha*!
Kiran
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Kiran Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:33am
I gotta to agree that while this is funny a video and "balsy" it is not any more impressive than a drunken kid jumping off a high bridge into a deep pool

I dont see the skill or strategic foresight / planning or serious practice of a craft that is required for the achievements like Laird Hamilton's big wave rides, the descents of the GC of the Stikine or Tsang Po gorge or the expeditions the oregonkayaking.net boys mount or the free climb of the north face of half dome in 2008...

It sure is bombastic....

Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 11:50am
This was obviously meant to be nothing more than a joke. He's claiming the world record in a dinghy (maybe, maybe not) not a kayak. That thing is no more than half the size of Palouse and can't even be compared. JUST A JOKE! 

It was kinda funny.
Hisdudeness
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Hisdudeness Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 3:02pm
dudes, this was a joke... a couple of friends having a good time, isn't that what kayaking is al about??? good times with good friends??? having fun??? drinkng... er... um... alcoholic beverages and making stupid videos??? i thought the video was funny as in "HA, HA"
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:31am
Holy cow, you guys are taking this way too seriously. It was obviously a couple of guys messing around like we always do and their fun video got a little more attention than normal. Probably because it's winter and we're all bored.

It was on a small waterfall and the "record" was for largest descent in a dingy, which is still a record. All this animosity is simply stemming from your confused assumptions that this was serious or an attempt to throw something in the face of the previous kayak records.

You should really stop hating so much and give props. It was fun, funny and technically a new record. There are records for different crafts and for male and female. Why not throw in most drunk in a dingy? I don't see how this possibly discredits anybody's previous runs and to say so is asinine.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:01am
are you trying to say that I was confused and this wasn't serious!  wait a sec....  I thought they were serious.  now I am confused  lol
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:59am
Whoa Adam, I think you get the award for the most animosity in a post so far...

I am not confused in my understanding, I just don't think it is funny and thats my choice. You can have a different view and thats cool too. My view is not based on any of the reasons you mentioned. If a couple of local boaters made a video like that I would laugh, I would go wow alot of effort went into having fun there, way to go (Like the guys below). But when a couple of Pro Video Boaters basically run a video that rips off the idea of a previous Boaters I am not too impressed.

I thought this was funny.

Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version