Professor Paddle: Deception Pass kayak camping? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Deception Pass kayak camping? Post Reply Post New Topic
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Topic: Deception Pass kayak camping?
    Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 5:24pm

seems to me there was a camp site inland away from Deception Pass, on Hope Island (State Park) . I landed there once to check it out and it looked cool- just not sure how crowded it gets.

Strawberry Island would be good except I think they yanked out the pit toilets and closed that AWESOME place down. Bummer. But it seems there are also camping options just south
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 5:27pm
Not sure if Burrows has any camping- you could always try the "low impact" (read- covert) mode of camping on Burrows, just drag your boats out of sight. My beta is foggy. Guess I gotta get back up there- maybe I'll crash your scene!

(I'll bring some Fireball or somethin!)
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 5:33pm
My favorite "low impact" choice would be Deception Island itself- but it may be a wild life preserve, so, then again maybe not. I'd rather be "low Impact" on someone's private prop than disturb my wild friends. North along the shore from Deception Pass may afford such an opportunity...

but without making a crossing, that's about all I can think of, unless you want to camp at Deception Pass State Park with all those High Impact campers who like to bring boom boxes, generators (you NEED one if you plan to watch your plasma screen in camp). Basicly you'll be camping in a forested parking lot among lots of ungracious ilk, and you won't get any sleep...

I say go poach, let this thread die, and have a great experience.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 6:22pm

Deception pass is good for day kayaking, but just go north about 15 miles and your in the paradise of the San Juans. You can launch from Anacortes and paddle accross to Cyprus Island that has some great easy access camp spots for beginer paddlers. Cyprus Head and Pelican beach. But, you better get there early if you want to get a spot, really busy in the summer and there is talk of closing those areas due to budget cuts. Pirate camping is an option, but may be a little difficult for beginers.

As long as there are no signs, you can camp on beaches without to much worrry unless someone tells you to leave. Camping in wildlife areas and state parks without permission can  lead to heavy fines.

I spend a lot of time up there in the summer months paddling.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 8:00pm
I've camped at Hope Island.  On the north western tip there is a spot that is secluded from the camping at the beach.  The beach can get a little crowded for day use, but mostly I saw people sleeping on boats and using the day area for picnicking.  Burrows has a Water Trails campsite on the north eastern side, but never stayed there, just passed by.

Jimmy
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version