Professor Paddle: Ben S braves http://outside-blog. V getting in.... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Ben S braves http://outside-blog. V getting in.... Post Reply Post New Topic
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Online Status: Offline
  Quote water wacko Replybullet Topic: Ben S braves http://outside-blog. V getting in....
    Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 7:24am
I thought this last storyI posted was the most intense I had ever read, but... I was wrong. Ben Stookesbury and Chris Korbulic have to be the bravest paddlers I've ever met. Going into an area like this would make me pee down my leg like a little baby. They go anyway. I can't wait for the film to come out next spring. Another amazing, unbelievable expedition!! I am humbled.

http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2010/11/kayaking-africa-the-great-lakes-of-the-congo.html
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 2:31pm
Wow... Humbled indeed; in awe; amazed; inspired.

... Just, "wow"! 
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 9:05pm
Unbelievable, thanks for the link. I liked the bit about using paddling signals to communicate with the crowd -very cool.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:20am
Bret- First off: Thanks for the link. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention, otherwise I wouldn't have sought it out. Very fascinating on a number of levels. I was wondering when Stookesberry would tackle the Congo. Seemed inevitable. Hardcore for sure.

Ok- get ready, cause I'm gonna blow this up:
Yeah it is impressive that Stookesberry and some of today's top paddlers are taking their adventure to these depths. And the ideas I am about to share should not, even taken in their most literal extremes, diminish that. And of course they won't.

First, it is notable that without modern technology the way it is, these sorts of trips would largely be impossible. We may be experienceing a brief luxury with this technology, so get out and use it while we got it. Don't take it for granted you'll have electricity available to you throughout the rest of your lifetime. You may not. Now onto the bigger implications...

Paddling through a f**king war zone intentionally? Seriously? In The Congo?-- While (again- I must emphasize) I do respect these paddlers and their accomplishments, I still have to balance it against the basic respect for humanity and human dignity. Honestly- If I lived there and dealt with all that is happening there and saw some white boy from the U.S. kayaking down the river (or war zone, or famine stricken hell, basicly just so he could include it in his memiors...) sh*t I'd probably want to chuck a spear or a coke bottle or whatever was handy at the disrespectful WHITEWATER CONQUISTADOR. I mean, it is another way to look at this. And if My skin was black and thirsty beside a raging African river shredded by bullets and land mines, if those corpses were my relatives, that would be my outlook, knowing what many African adolecents must know at this point about their history on this planet with Whitie.

To play Devil's Advocate to myself, on the other hand, The surprise presence of a strange alien in stranger looking clothes and gear (kayaking gear) does seem to have an amazing ability (somehow) to bridge cultural gaps, it's true...

"The people want to tell you that they are so happy that you are here," commented an English-speaking youth. "This means our country is safe when you come here."  This quote is here almost to validate the expedition. As if a few thrill seekers (motivated, brave, and accomplished though they are) are really making these people safer. I call Bullsh*t on that even if those locals sincerely believe it. It is marginally possible I admit, but...Bullsh*t.

Children trekked along the bank, realizing a Huck Finn dream with fishing poles and friends. Dude- more like they are trying to feed their family. Do most children of Africa ever have the luxury of Huck Finn style dreams? I suppose it is possible and I should withhold judgement, but I doubt it. I really doubt it.

Look, I'm not pointing this stuff out just for the sake of being a dick. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those guys... But at some point, when Kayakers elevate their adventure to the point of INTENTIONALLY going into combat zones for the sake of a first descent, it just may be encumbant upon the critical thinker to ask such questions as whether or not it is a disrespectfull thing to do.

These guys (the contemporary cutting edge of Kayaking's expedition class) are all intelligent, free thinking individuals, and I know these concepts aren't lost on them or abscent from their thought. I guess that's what's lacking from the account, in my opinion. Because every time I see a modern kayaking video in some "Third World" corner of the planet talk about "Giving Back"-- I don't buy it. Sounds too much like they are trying to placate a guilty consciousness. And then when i hear about someone willfully traveling into a serious war zone for the selfish goals of a first D, it kinda makes me wonder if anything in this Human Experience really has any meaning to it.

Take what you want while you are on this planet. fu*k fighting evil for the sake of the planet and the people on it. Just do what you want and fu*k everything else. Leaves me feeling hollow to live in such a society, and does more to make me want to Quit kayaking than continue it.

So I'd like to hear these guys directly address what has up to this point remained un mentioned: International Whitewater Colonializism as inherited by the International Whitewater Gringo...
(Something to think about at least, if you're into that sort of thing...)
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:36am
I have always had a real hard time understanding how recreating in third world countries has been equated to some kind of humanitarian effort. I can see a potential argument in that it will evenutally bring tourists and business to the area, but in this case that is highly unlikely.

Any recreation, be it kayaking, skiing, etc. ultimately serves no one but the skier or kayaker themselves. It is a selfish endeavor.

Now, whether or not there is a problem with engaging in this ultimately selfish endeavor is another story. Obviously I don't have a problem with it.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:45am

Thanks, Jonathan. And I'm not saying I have a real problem with it either- honestly I'm not sure how I feel, like a lot of this sh*t. I just wish that

a) people were more honest with themselves and each other
b) just a teeny tiny bit more energy was spent exploring this question openly.

Because I'm impressed. But unlike Palouse, hard pressed to be inspired.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 11:33am
In the new age of sponsored kayak expeditions, the Congo trip is a first. The modern eco-kayaking expedition that uses the mask of kayak tricks to bring attention to ecological issues, such as the currents project, or some of the stuff that Trip Jennings is doing is a step forward in kayaking being more than just kayaking for the sake of hucking ones proverbial meat. But this Congo expedition is the first that I can think of that is drawing attention to Political and humanitarian issues. Now that may not have been Stookesbury's intention to draw the public eye toward the political situation in the Congo, but at least it draws the eye.

The African continent has been under imperial and colonial oppression since the 1600's, and what is happening in the Congo may not be congolese nationalists fighting the British, or French, or some other Modernized culture, but their conflict is a direct result of the turmoil that has been created in the region via Imperialism and Colonialism.

So, if stookesbury's resume building expedition helps at least one young meat hucking, sh*t running, brown clawing, broham to consider the absolute atrocities that have been and continue to happen in the African continent in the name of the modern worlds economic intrests, I think it's at least a step.

Maybe what stookesbury is doing will motivate a young filmaker to focus on political issues rather than just "running the brown" or setting world records. The African continent is a long way from regaining it's sovereignty, and it's unlikely that anyone in the niche market of whitewater kayaking will create change in the corporate dealings in Africa, but maybe it'll do something.

If anyone wants to learn more about the economic ways that Africa has been Imperialised I recommend Looting Africa: The Economics of Exploitation by Patrick Bond, it's a tough read but is the most in depth look at African Imperialization.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Jed Hawkes

The African continent is a long way from regaining it's sovereignty

Is there even such a thing as regaining sovereignty? Take a look at my 1 minute research.

Wiki : Sovereign
Google: Look at the first result for googling sovereign

Or better yet... is the US sovereign? Why would be not be allowed to view WikiLeaks?

Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 1:13pm
Agreed, in the modern world of globalization, sovereignty is a constantly changing term, and potentially unattainable. For my use it means the ability for African countries to tell foreign corporations or governments to F-off, or even choose to nationalize their natural resources so those resources are not funneled out of the continent. This conversation is so multi faceted that there are week long conferences dedicated to this topic, but in terms of Whitewater kayaking in the International "developing world" I still think it's a step forward for the whitewater industry in diversifying the reasons and motives for paddling rivers.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 1:21pm
I ain't talking about whitewater stuff, I am talking about the .... oh wait wrong forum. Sorry bout that. I think my posting is stuck in the cloud...
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version