Professor Paddle: Hwy 169 bridge on Green- river access? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Hwy 169 bridge on Green- river access? Post Reply Post New Topic
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Topic: Hwy 169 bridge on Green- river access?
    Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 1:46pm
Is there access to the Green at the Hwy 169 (Enumclaw-Black Diamond Road) bridge?

Thanks.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
AaronS
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AaronS Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 3:15pm
There are two possibilities, but neither is very appealing or easy to see.  You'd need to start at the top and work your way down in order to find the takeout so that you'd recognize it from the river.  I've taken out on river left just up stream of the bridge.  There is an overgrown, steep, muddy trail that winds back up to the highway.  It comes out in some of the new landscaping they did when they "repaired" the bridge last year.  If you hop the guardrail on the East side of the highway south of the river and follow your nose, you should be able to find the trail.  Again, it's harder to find from the river.

There's also a trail somewhere on the river right side below the bridge, I think.  If you park at the pullout on the north side of the river and climb over the ecology blocks, there is a trail that goes down toward the river.  It, too is steep and muddy.  I have not followed that one all the way to the river, so I don't know where it comes out. 

Either way, it's a haul.  Have fun.
If you're not prepared to be wrong you'll never come up with anything new.
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 3:45pm
Thanks- was thinking this might make the Yo-Yo run more fun for the newbies if it was a bit longer, with a few extra jiggles. But it sounds messy- I'll check it out next time I'm up that way.

Thanks!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 4:54pm
THere is a stream that pours out over a sandstone waterslide like waterfall on the south west side of bridge (river left downriver side) I have been eyeballing this for a possible put in, but the landing is a bit sketchy....and maybe a 50 foot drop...
Nomad
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 5:30pm
There used to be a fairly good fisherman's trail on the upstream RL side starting at the "low point" in the road on the south side of the bridge.  It worked it's way down to the beach by the eddy below the last drop upsteam of the bridge.  From river perspective, I remember this being still out of sight of the bridge.  If you float down until you see the bridge, you've gone too far...    
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 7:47am
Not exactly on subject but I found this funny. I was showing a friend that I am taking down the lower green today where Flaming Geyser is on Google Maps. As we zoomed in guess what I saw in the river.... A raft from satellite !!! pretty impressive, looks like an NRS.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=green+river+wa&sll=47.472663,-121.816406&sspn=11.736977,18.61084&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Green+River,+King,+Washington&ll=47.276256,-122.01898&spn=0.001438,0.002272&t=h&z=19
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 10:53am
That is impressive. And I bet the military can do even better, scary at what can be spied on.
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 11:08am
Scroll a little further upstream, and there's a yellow raft, too.  Where are all the kayakers?    I bet you they'd show up with a little better resolution.
Don't waste water!
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:02pm
your video card must be better than mine.  With what I can see, I'm not completely what that thing is; and when I started going upstream, my computer bogged down and threatened to crash :-(
Life is short, paddle hard!
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 11:06pm
That used to be my favorite fishing spot before I started kayaking!

I'm pretty sure when they redid the bridge they also made a road all the way down to the river.

It has easy access to the river and a great swimming hole.  I know it's more popular now... I couldn't keep it secret for 11 years... darnit!

I'm sure you could carry down there easily, we've tubed down to the Yo-Yo stretch from there.
H2O please
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version