Professor Paddle: Getting my first drysuit? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Getting my first drysuit? Post Reply Post New Topic
horton
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote horton Replybullet Topic: Getting my first drysuit?
    Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 8:35pm
So I'm finally looking into getting a drysuit, and I think it might be either a Palm Stikine, Whatever the new Level 6 one is, or a Kokotat (preferably a Meridian). Obviously, spending less money would be awesome, but I'm wondering if it's not worth it just to pony up and shell out the cash for the Meridian? Any thoughts?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 8:40pm
I recently got a used Kokatat from Kayak Academy and am pretty happy with it. I've been told this brand is one of the easier ones to fix when you need to replace a gasket.
More water, please.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 8:56pm
You could go with other brands and probably do ok, but you might as well pony up and buy the Kokatat.  You'll use it almost year round in the NW and it's worth it.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:38pm
i figure i will mention that the DT REI has a kokatat meriden with pzip and tunnel for like 400 in the used area. it will need new booties but it is a great deal if it fit. it is like new
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 10:15pm
I have owned both the kokatat and the palm.  The palm is a very nice suit for the money.  The kokatat is a very nice suit period.  I currently boat the kokatat most of the time and pound OP brush in the palm.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:41am
I recommend Kokatat or OS System suits. They are generally more expensive, but they are worth it in the long run. Not just because they are quality suits, but because they are made in America on the west coast...and do their own service at their shops. So when you need repairs you can send them in and get work done by the people who made the suit, often repairs are covered by warranty too, so all you pay is shipping. With most other brands, they are made overseas with no domestic service, so if you need to have repairs done you are either SOL or paying high repair costs from Rainy Pass.

Also you can get used Kokatat suits from Kayak academy if you want to save some $$$.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 10:13am
agree with joe...
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 11:21am
Kokatat and Kokatat only.  Also get the booties and the relief zipper.  The relief zipper will extend the life of your neck and wrist gaskets.  A wise man told me once to NEVER chince on gear.  The goes doubly for a dry suit.  You get what you pay for.  I'm on my second dry suit in 10 years of paddlling.  A new one every 5 years seems to be about right for my frequency of use.  I also get new neck  and wrist gaskets about every 2 years.  I get an average of 80-90 days in a year and I'm hard on my stuff.  My old dry suit is now my back up.  If your gasket blows at the put in there is no time for repair but there is time to change into another suit....
MORE RAIN PLEASE
Hisdudeness
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Hisdudeness Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:09pm
i am very pleased with my maridian. kokatat will replace the gaskets, pressure test it and repair any pinhole leaks for around $100... great service and well worth the money
baysel
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote baysel Replybullet Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 12:36am
KOKATAT!!!

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version