Professor Paddle: Class V boaters vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Class V boaters Post Reply Post New Topic
Poll Question: If I could only boat III+ water for the rest of your life,
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [90.00%]
1 [5.00%]
1 [5.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote STLboater Replybullet Topic: Class V boaters
    Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 7:34am
I am curious about the motivations behind class V kayakers, and how you guys would react to losing your class IV - V rivers. This questions stems from me being a Missouri boater.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 3:14pm
If there was nothing to boat but easier whitewater, I would rage all over some class III!

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 3:55pm
I know a hole in a class III rapid I would always hit if I could only paddle class III. Luckily I don't have to limit my whitewater pallet :)
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 5:13pm
Dude, if all of the oceans, lakes and rivers were stolen from this planet tomorrow by aliens or Coca Cola or whoever- I would kayak on whatever available ponds and puddles were left, theoreticly.

Class II would suit me well in the absence of all the more difficult whitewater. I thought I've made that clear in the past.

So now that that is settled, why do I paddle class V? What's my motivation?

- I do like to challenge myself, for sure. Creeking is simply one of the most convienient ways for me to do that in a kayak. It's true that If I really applied myself, playboating would be equally as challenging. But it just doesn't turn my crank. I get bored easily with it.
- Class V boating easily takes me into more remote places than class III or even class IV stretches do. And you encounter fewer people. I aslo find the kinetic whitewater environment to be quite enchanting. It would be hard to say godbye to it.

I dunno though. Sometimes I think that eventually I will quit paddling whitewater and just focus on long distance open water paddling: Open Ocean. Not "Sea Kayaking" in the ameature paddle float sense, but real long distance multi-week trips in real ocean conditions. Paddling to GO somewhere. Sometimes I feel as though whitewater is beginning to bore me, yet I don't want to hurt myself for the sake of a thrill, and I'm too lazy to try to milk the nuances of the freestyle end of things. It's never been my thing. One of these days i'll probably just load up my sea kayak and "paddle away".
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 12:32pm
Personally I think the canyons inherent with class 5 runs are just more interesting... deeper and more fun.

As I age, I know I'll be back to those class III runs.  There's still something cool about floating effortlessly through a forest. 

I'll never get tired of that, and class III runs are great for that.  If I only had more time I would do them more, but it's all about priorities for me.
H2O please
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 12:39pm
yep,  love the pull of a paddle blade on water... moving or not. 
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 3:20pm
Hard to say, but probably wouldn't get out as much.  I like the physicalness (sp?) of it and class II/III boating makes it a little harder to enjoy that aspect.  I'd be stoked to get my son on class II/III however so that would help.

Not sure of your particular situation, but just because you're from the midwest doesn't mean you have to move back there after schools done.  If you like mountain based activities, the flatlands are the worst...ugh.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 6:11pm
I don't care if it's Class V or Class I. I just like to get out there and paddle. Beats sitting around and typing on this keyboard.

That, IMHO, is what makes the difference between a core boater and a kayaker that just wants the class V adrenaline rush. The real kayaker will probably be kayaking for the rest of his life, the Quote "class V kayaker" will probably give it up after a few years, get injured, or have kids and hang up the paddle. I have seen this happen over the past 20 years of paddling over and over again.
Nomad
Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 6:29am
Originally posted by dave

That, IMHO, is what makes the difference between a core boater and a kayaker that just wants the class V adrenaline rush. The real kayaker will probably be kayaking for the rest of his life, the Quote "class V kayaker" will probably give it up after a few years, get injured, or have kids and hang up the paddle. I have seen this happen over the past 20 years of paddling over and over again.

The plain fact of the matter is that the longer you paddle class V, the harder it gets to keep paddling class V. Whether it's other life commitments taking away the time you need to feel comfortable on hard whitewater, injuries, or just the fact that after many years you will almost certainly have seen wayyy more things that are likely to give you pause before dropping into the gnar. Some people are better than others at striking the right balance of fear vs. ego while also continuing to paddle at a rate that will keep them uninjured but also honed to the proper mental and physical edge to perform at a high level. But no level of dedication can ultimately overcome the relentless advance of time. In the end, it often boils down to learning to gracefully allow time and the river to wear the rough edges off your ego, so that you can embrace the overall experience and the challenges you can find on easier whitewater. If the ego doesn't give, the boating will.

Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 8:19am
Very well said Lelend!  You nailed my mentallity right on.

Courtney
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 10:15am
+1
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 10:19am
I should add that I am not a class 5 boater, but what you said I think can be applied most anything we do that requires us to tap the best of our skill and experience.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
jaansdornea
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jaansdornea Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 5:34am
not a class V boater -- but I love boating V any chance i get.  I like the ego bruising and knowing that our earth doesn't really give a damn about me.  That said, I would probably stop boating if there were only III, just because there are other options for getting that insignificant feeling.  Like, climbing any trad route, or hiking around Ranier or hanging with my family :-).
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Leland

...or just the fact that after many years you will almost certainly have seen wayyy more things that are likely to give you pause before dropping into the gnar. But no level of dedication can ultimately overcome the relentless advance of time. In the end, it often boils down to learning to gracefully allow time and the river to wear the rough edges off your ego, so that you can embrace the overall experience and the challenges you can find on easier whitewater...

yup. essentially that's it. eventually surrendering gracefully to the realities of aging, life's commitments, ect.

Personnally I'm at the point where I'm not generally willing to get hurt, which seems to be what is reqired of me to "step up my game" on class V. (mostly with regards to big waterfalls, tight pinches, or manky ass sh*t).  So I'm content to watch less skilled paddlers booger their way through drops that I don't deem runnable in a "clean" (upright with a dry head) way while I portage them.

Regardless of the rating, I'm in the sport to feel my boat move through the rapid or drop. Not to "say I did it". I want paddling to feel good.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 5:43pm
Leland, this is the first time I saw the photo you posted (haven't had internet)  That photo just puts a smile on my face, thanks so much!
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
jtemus
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jtemus Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 6:45pm
I am usually satisfied with class III, but I also love the sport because it allows me to improve. No matter how good anybody is there is still something challenging and different on different rivers.
explwhore
Paddler
Paddler

Quote explwhore Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 1:26pm
I have decided to paddle specifically just in the bedroom, it seems less and more dangerous all at the same time...
jaansdornea
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jaansdornea Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 3:33pm
I like to be paddled in the bedroom is that more or less dangerous than paddling?
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Leland

]The plain fact of the matter is that the longer you paddle class V, the harder it gets to keep paddling class V. Whether it's other life commitments taking away the time you need to feel comfortable on hard whitewater, injuries, or just the fact that after many years you will almost certainly have seen wayyy more things that are likely to give you pause before dropping into the gnar. Some people are better than others at striking the right balance of fear vs. ego while also continuing to paddle at a rate that will keep them uninjured but also honed to the proper mental and physical edge to perform at a high level. But no level of dedication can ultimately overcome the relentless advance of time. In the end, it often boils down to learning to gracefully allow time and the river to wear the rough edges off your ego, so that you can embrace the overall experience and the challenges you can find on easier whitewater. If the ego doesn't give, the boating will.

Not a class V boater myself but I think this is a great quote Leland.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
Kyle K
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Kyle K Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:47pm
Leland, very well said!

I paddled in my teens then gave it up to be a Grand Canyon raft guide, which I did for years. I didn't get back into kayaking until I was 40. Although I paddled a fair bit of class V over the last 10 years, I only consider myself a solid class IV boater with class V friends.

But to the point, at 53 I just became an instructor after moving to Denver. Amazingly enough, even though I didn't do much creeking this year, I'm boating better than ever, which may not be saying much. Funny what daily sessions in the play park can do for your reflexes though, even at my age. Unfortunately, the season is over here. I miss the PNW!

So, I suppose I'm trying to say that, even as you get older you can still paddle pretty hard stuff. As you said though, one gains a better appreciation for their limits as time passes, due to aging and life's experiences. I know I'll never paddle runs like Yule Creek, or some of the BC steeps I lust after but I sure look forward to the Ohane on a road trip to Seattle next summer! Knowing that I can be airly fcomfortable there is really cool.

While it may not seem germaine to some who don't put much truck in rafting, my dad rowed his own raft through the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago at the age of 80. He ran every rapid and did it better than most of the rest of us on the trip. He's planning to solo it next time, as soon as he gets a permit. Hope I'm charging that hard when I'm his age!

PS: One of the nicest compliments I ever got was from Brett Barton who said, after I commented that I hoped I could paddle as well as him someday, "Kyle, I hope I can paddle as well as you when I'm your age". One second thought, maybe he was just giving me some sh*t for being an old fart!    ;-)

Hope you're all enjoying the wonderful rivers and creeks you are so lucky to live near. I miss them and I miss paddling with my crew up there. Have fun!
"I used to be somebody, now I'm somebody else." Bad Blake                  
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:19pm
We all miss you, too, Kyle!!!!!!!!!! I think about you a lot, brotha. I'll definitely paddle with you on the Ohane next year. I still hope to rock the rivers when I'm old ;) I am being serious when I say that. I paddled with a guy this year who has paddled the Payette for 30 years. We paddled the top ten of the NF and I was humbled as I watched that guy sort of 'laze' through the stuff like he was going for a walk in the park. 30 years or not the Payette is the Payette!! Respect. I admire your fire, Kyle. Can't wait for the Ohane!! Love ya, buddy. I mean, geezer ;) love ya...
Kyle K
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Kyle K Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 12:58pm
Aww Brett, you're makin' me blush!
"I used to be somebody, now I'm somebody else." Bad Blake                  
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version