Professor Paddle: Sea Kayak rudder or no rudder? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Sea Kayak rudder or no rudder? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 9:46pm
Kirk, my boat wont be coming until February 2011, but I am all in to race with you Kirk. I know you may kick my ass, but I will train to try and keep up with you.

Arno, I am having Epic build in a special hatch to transport Deborah's delicious chocolate chip cookies. So, no worries about that, go ahead and get the production started on the cookies and I will take good care of them.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 12:21am
Don't challenge me to a race, I'll do this!

Have you seen my bicycle?  Who says motors are weak?
Wanna race me on my Huffy???
http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b464/ohane1/bicycle/PB250415.jpg

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b464/ohane1/bicycle/Travis086.jpg

H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 6:50am

I wonder what happens when he flips?  I wonder if the motor cuts off or not?  Anyone know?  I'd hate to get dragged upsidedown.  Otherwise it looks like fun!

Courtney
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 2:42pm
Dave- I think it is really awesome that you are finally talking about something meaningful (read: related to kayaking) on this site. But I don't understand why EVERY post of yours on this thread is in the "Shouting" font size.

Certainly when you concieved this thread topic I was one of the people whose hackles you imagined you'd raise. But no, 'ol jP here is as cool as a cucumber in the face of your large-font onslaught

I welcome your topic and even see where you are coming from,though I still disagree, Olympic endorsements or no. It's good because people around here can learn stuff from this discussion. But I agree with Courtney: it's all about what you like (and you are a wussi )

I REALLY would like to echo Kirk's comments: I've always felt that rudders are obtrusive to my paddling experience. They dull the sensation of what the balls of my feet, my toes, and my heels are doing. Believe me: after countless days racing my fellow paddling buddies on the Robe Canyon flatwater at the end, I've really fine tuned what my feet, knees, and hips are doing to the point where my paddle is freed up to soley power me forward. Yeah, I'm no Olympic caliber racer, Maybe if I had an olympic caliber stroke and practiced using a rudder, I'd find the virtue in it the same way those top athletes do. But I'm sure Obi Wan Kenobi would want me to "use the force" and "let go" of such silly contraptions. a fine tuned sense of edge control, like Kirk says, is all I need.

Arn-your post was funny in that clever sort of way.

Kayaks with rudders just have too much hardware for me. I find it annoying. A skeg on the other hand, subtely alters the shape of my hull. That's all I need.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 6:22pm
Well, regarding the font: Even though I look and act like I am really young, I am getting old, so, my eyes just don't work like they used to. So, I use larger font so I can see what I am typing. Young folks like you JP can see that small font...

I agree with Kirk too, and I like paddling with him too. He is a great guy and fun to paddle with and has a great philosophy about paddling and the stroke. Basically to each his own regarding the rudder. I just started this post to get more input regarding the rudder and start some good controversial discussion.

The really fast racing boats with rudders come with a big sacrifice though, that is stability and room for packing stuff. But, I am looking forward to getting one soon and be able to zoom around everyone instead of them zooming around me...

Edited by dave - 23 Oct 2010 at 6:42pm
Nomad
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 7:53pm

right on- sorry for my misunderstanding, Dave.

And before long I'll prolly be sport'n the big font as well...
good topic, though dude-  thanks
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 8:23pm
I sympathize with the font sizing issues. Try holding down the control key and tapping your plus key a few times. This will make all the text as large as you want, and then when you are done, i.e. wish to see more of the page at once, zoom out using control-minus.

Happy reading/writing,

D
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 9:00pm

Dave does that and when I go to look at the Internet on the TV there is giant letters. We have a laptop hooked up to the big screen so we can couch surf...

Ohh, my head hurts from headbanging all the time....METAL....

Edited by dave - 23 Oct 2010 at 9:01pm
Nomad
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version