Professor Paddle: bootie beer ettiquete vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: bootie beer ettiquete Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:50pm

Here it goes again, quit being such cry baby bitches...if you don't want to booty up, then don't, end of story.  It does not pertain to you, so nobody cares what you think.   I have come to expect that sort of whinning from KTW, but from the rest of you...good lord.  Cry, cry, cry...all the way home.

Hugo
Hugo
suck it
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by hugo

I have come to expect that sort of whinning from KTW

thats real nice, Hugo. if anyone is whining, he isnt the only one. i didnt say anything on the subject yet, but if i had, it would be similar. so what.
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
bseracka
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote bseracka Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 6:30pm
If I recall Paddler did a bacteria sample and assessed the dangers of shooting the boot a few issues ago.  If I remember correctly the bootie smell comes from yeast  (you know the ingreent that makes beer, beer) and the bacteria count was lower than a keyboard.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by ashleygoesdisco

thats real nice, Hugo. if anyone is whining, he isnt the only one. i didnt say anything on the subject yet, but if i had, it would be similar. so what.

Too bad, nobody cares what you think crashley.  Besides, from the sounds of it, you owe more than a couple of booty beers to even the score from last weekend...

atych yew gee oh!
suck it
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 8:55pm
nobody has to care. you are just being a jerk, like usual. i appreciate it. my opinion, yep, it probably stinks. thanks for making my hectic day better with your ever edifying comments.

and yeah, probably. but its not going to happen. i was sufficiently freaked out, and no one will be making me drink for what happened. they can try, it wont work.

Edited by ashleygoesdisco - 22 May 2008 at 9:02pm
Ashley Duffus
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 10:03pm
Ashleygoesswimming, nobody is making you do anything...and that is just it.  You choose not to partake in this tradition (which is just fine with us)  so nobody gives a shit about what you have to say.  I imagine that you do not play ice hockey either...do you bitch to the NHL whenever there is a rule that you don't like?
suck it
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 10:07pm
haaaha. NHL. HA. i keep my nose out of such things.

i just dont like the way that you commented on what KTW said. i think its a valid point though, for a couple of us who dont partake, to post in this thread about why. and i dont think we need any shit for it. i wasnt bitching about the tradition. i was defending someone who has a similar view as i do.

and thanks. swam competitively for six years. =)
Ashley Duffus
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 10:24pm

whatever...sorry to hurt your feelings.

suck it
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 11:03pm
Bringing it back again.

If you don't partake in the tradition then you really don't have an opinion on the matter...

It's like raft guiding you swim you buy beer, if you don't buy beer when you swim guiding you shouldn't drink from the communial beers.  Same w/ kayaking, you swim you drink a bootie, if you don't drink a bootie when you swim your opinion on the tradition doesn't matter nor do you get to tell people they owe a bootie, plain and simple.  Personally, I could care less if someone doesn't want to drink a bottie if they swim.  Traditions are the few things that hold communities together, it creates great stories, pictures, bonding etc.  If you want to seperate yourself from that feel free no one is pressuring you to be a part of it.  The reason for the bottie is to pay homage to the river for allowing you to get back to your dry clothes and vehicle.  If anyone wants to deny this respect that's their deal, personally I look forward to saying thanks and moving on w/ my paddling.

The comments about giardia and bootie beers are some of the more unfound reasons to not own up that I have ever heard.  I've had giardia twice now, it sucks, but to say you can get it from drinking botties is just absurd.

James I've got a pair that will match yours I'd be down to have a bootie off comparing the two.  Your's actually look more legit due to the duct tape but mine have plants growing out of the toes.

Edited by PaulGamache - 22 May 2008 at 11:14pm
27/320 & 1 bootie
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:50am
Blah blah blah

Its easy to say 'don't participate if you don't want to.' On the otherhand, peer pressure, that many of you exhibit, to participate in this tradition is immense.

Also, the idea that 'I drank a booty so everything is ok' doesnt sing to me.

Its a good thing I don't care what you think, Hugo.
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 8:01am
Paul, your post is a perfect example of the pressure I'm talking about. Good thing you don't speak for everyone and don't actually represent the community that I don't get to be a part of if I don't follow along with you.

Edited by kayaktheworld - 23 May 2008 at 8:03am
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 8:31am
KTW,
Once again, like Seattle in general and Professor Paddle specifically, we see how diversity (of opinion) is nurtured and respected. 

Err, that is, as long as you agree with the politically correct/vocal opinion.

arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 9:04am
Seriously, We do not care if others do it. I do it and my friends do it,  I have never, nor will ever pressure somebody into doing it.   Arn, this thread was about guidelines of a tradition.  If that tradition does not pertain to you, then you have no say in the matter.  Lets say that I wanted some beta on Robe, or the Clear Fork of the Cowlitz or the Little White, would you or Ashley or Jose or KTW have any worhwhile beta to give us?  Probably not, unless you have been down there and done it for yourself. 
suck it
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 9:08am
KTW,

Bro I've got friends I paddle w/ that also choose not to drink from booties.  It's really not a big deal at all, if you don't want to participate that's fine man NO ONE IS PRESSURING YOU. 

Sounds like you've got some buddies or other paddlers that are pretty annoying about trying to get you to drink one, sorry if what I said brought back shivers of peer pressure on you.

The part about traditions was a mention on swimming being a noteworthy aspect of paddling, the bootie commemorates that.  If you don't like that tradition fine, come up w/ something else but at the end of the day when people are hanging out and someone asks "so did anyone swim"  have something for people to do or partake in. 

Also remember that you don't need to drink beer from a bottie to have it count, if someone doesn't want to drink beer that's totally cool also.  Tim last weekend on the Clackamas drank a Viso from his bottie.

This whole thing really is more effort than it's worth, making a way bigger deal out of drinking a bottie, and making serious something that's intended to be fun.

Hell, sometimes I'll swim on purpose just so I know I'll get a free beer at the end of the day.  It's all those non-swimmers who are the real suckers, ha!

Edited by PaulGamache - 23 May 2008 at 9:14am
27/320 & 1 bootie
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 9:12am
I think as forum trolls go ... Hugo is the most asinine poster I've seen in a loooong time. 

I see that I'm lucky to not have to worry about bootie beers since I'm not a bad ass enough to be dropping into Clear Fork, Robe, Ernies, etc.  I have never realized the imporant connection between bootie beers, class V and decency.  Thank god we have Hugo here to educate all of us!  We are SOOOO LUCKY!  Thanks Hugo!

Nothing like a friendly, civil community to make ya proud of your sport.  Jackass.
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 9:22am
Arn, you're subtle comments on political philosophy, no matter how unrelated they are to the topic at hand, always entertain me.         I'm counting about three people in this thread that are espousing the "pc" version of booty drinking.

I guess it comes down to how impressionable you are and what "vibes" you pick up on and who you boat with.  I've never felt pressured into drinking a beer and have probably only drank five in my life (even though I've swam a lot more than that).

You can thank the Montana Guidebook/TGR boys for starting the tradition back in the late nineties.  For those of you put off by alcohol, you can always imbibe in the "ice cream rules" recently started by the Colorado folks. 

arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 9:40am
I have no opinion that I want to share on the subject of booty beers. 

I do have an opinion on civility on public forums though.  Especially where people often know each other in real life.

Asking about etiquette, to me, includes a wide range of answers and it seems appropriate for people to include opinions related to proper form as well as risks/social pressure/ etc. that are associated with said etiquette/tradition and how it makes them feel.  I appreciate seeing the different opinions and I don't like the bullying tactics that are often used to suppress them.
arn

PS Dave, Glad I could provide some entertainment value if nothing else!   First time I was accused of being subtle though!

Edited by arnobarno - 23 May 2008 at 9:45am
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 9:53am

Slicky, you are missing my point.  The same argument applies, that example can be used for any river, if you haven't done it, chances are, you should not be giving beta.  It could be class I or class II or class III or class IV or class V.  If you don't drink the booty, then nothing you say is of concern to the interested parties, this thread was about clarifying rules, not crying about traditions you don't like.

suck it
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:22am
Paul-

I have never felt pressure to drink a bootie, I have not had the opportunity for a little over 6.5 years.

My point is that I have seen people pressured into it. Maybe I misread your post but from what I read, you said that this tradition ties communities together and that if you don't partake you are separating yourself from the community. I feel like that statement is blatant peer pressure.

To restate my other point, I feel that many people use the bootie as a way to ignore their swims. "I drank beer out of neoprene so I am OK now, everything is in the past." I think that a lot of times swims should be analyzed a little more and you should realize that skill assessment (and improvement based on that assessment) is what will stop you from swimming again.

ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:31am
Originally posted by hugo

whatever...sorry to hurt your feelings.

thanks Hugo.
Ashley Duffus
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 11:08am
Originally posted by arnobarno

I have no opinion that I want to share on the subject of booty beers. 

I do have an opinion on civility on public forums though.  Especially where people often know each other in real life.

Asking about etiquette, to me, includes a wide range of answers and it seems appropriate for people to include opinions related to proper form as well as risks/social pressure/ etc. that are associated with said etiquette/tradition and how it makes them feel.  I appreciate seeing the different opinions and I don't like the bullying tactics that are often used to suppress them.
arn

PS Dave, Glad I could provide some entertainment value if nothing else!   First time I was accused of being subtle though!

Thanks for an excellent post. I'm done with this thread... not because I don't have points to bring up on the subject, but because of the tone this thread has taken. I have better things to do, like plan my next boating trips, than get into pointless online arguments.

And yes, I realize the way I worded my first post could have rubbed someone who does partake in BBs the wrong way, and if I did, I'm sorry.

Everyone have a great MD weekend... boat safe and don't swim... whether you do BB's or not.
swimseat
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote swimseat Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 11:15am
ahahahaha oh my goodness I just want to start off by saying thank god.
I love how this thread escalated into madness.  I'm new to the site, and I could not envision a more positive representation of the paddling community, sans one user.  It's ok to stand by your tradition and it's ok to defend your position; I think the only real  problem here is one individual calling people out on a public thread in an (obvious) attempt to bring them down.  shame on you hugo, I don't care if you're a tsangpo paddler; there is nothing cool about bashing other people because of the whitewater they choose to paddle. that's just lame.  and busting on ashley because she swam the other day at high flows?  lame again.  your negative attitude and your (obvious) desire to hurt other peoples' feelings don't do anyone any good.
mixmastermax
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 11:32am

Wow, no swims in 6.5 years.  That's pretty impressive, not being sarcastic.

To reitterate, no one should pressue anyone into drinking booties, or running the gnar, or any other BS that someone doesn't want to do. 

To go back to what this thread was about in the first place. If you play the bootie game and you swim whether you self rescue or not, under the rules of the game, you are a canadite for a bootie.  I actually just drank one in my kitchen because I like doing them so much. 

27/320 & 1 bootie
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 12:14pm
swimseat, I am not calling anybody out, nor am i a tsangpo paddler (not sure where you got that idea).  GIve me one example from this thread on how i am picking on people because of their choice of whitewater.

I  people don't want to be called out, then they stay out of a conversation that has nothing to do with them, or if they do decide to grace us with their irrelevant opinions, then they should be prepared to deal with the responses. 

I was wrong to pick on ashley for swimming.  that was lame, but she is tough and can handle it.  did i not mention in the beginning of this thread that i too have had a few booties this season?  simmer down

suck it
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 12:38pm

james,

I remember that picture -just before ryan (sorry to call you out in such a public forum) and I drank rouge stout from them.  because i swim alot, i end up doing a lot booty beers, it gets easier with time. I am fairly sure that i have quite a layer of river sediment in my guts. i raise a can of old chub right now in hopes that i will not have to do one this weekend. 

KTW, do you really know people that think that just because they drank a beer from their booty, they are protected?  sounds obsurd and don't know any other bootier that thinks that.

Jon

see everybody this weekend and i look forward to hanging with lots of good paddling buds that i don't see too much anymore.

ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version